Best Way to Market Yourself

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpeterb, Jan 4, 2005.

1. trumpeterb

trumpeterb Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    I am searching for opinions here.....I am sure that there are MANY great trumpeters (and other musicians) out there in small communities, but I would bet that many of them do not play out as much as they would like. Does anyone have any ideas of the best ways to market yourself as a player in an area that lacks performance opportunities, and that lacks opportunities to audition for groups? I have heard of people sending a "promo pack" to brides-to-be in the newspaper, scheduling recitals at area churches, and volunteering their services at churce services, but I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas.

2. Kenzo

Kenzo Pianissimo User

Nov 18, 2003
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Not being a "sales" professional, I will try to share some of the things I have done both as a freelance and with the company I am a partner in.

1. Get to know all the area church musicians (brides often check there first)

2. Get to know caterering halls, hotels, florists, formal wear shops, bridal shops, etc. Get you business card or a flyer there.

3. Look for Bridal Expos and get a table.

4. Any businesses that entertain-corporations can be a great field to develop.

5. Get in touch with local charities-they will often have a fundraising ball and will hire a band-often at a very good fee.

6. Try to get friendly with some local radio and televisio celebrities. Try to get them to do a guest appearance (sing if they can) at a gig. Oftentimes that can lead to free publicity on their broadcast.

7. Network-Network-Network...

I hope this helps. I/we have used these techniques and my book stays full for the most part. Good luck.

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Sounds like an incredible idea... better yet would be if they'd let you and/or your group play at the inevitable "Bridal Fashion Show"!

4. Kenzo

Kenzo Pianissimo User

Nov 18, 2003
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Never even looked into PLAYING at an expo...

Only set up a booth and handed out flyers, business cards and answered questions.

Good thinking.