best way to protect your horn??????

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by harveyhassanator, Sep 5, 2010.

1. harveyhassanator

harveyhassanator Pianissimo User

Sep 5, 2010
    Britain
    ive been playing for a fair number of years now and with every instrument i have owned i have (melted???) through the lacquer and several times through the instruments themselves.
    anyone got any ideas on how to stop that or a coating i can put over the horns i now own??? (e.g gold plate or something)

any comment would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  2. Dutchie

Dutchie New Friend

Apr 11, 2010
    P.E.I., Canada
    It sounds like you're a person who has a higher acidic content to their perspiration/oils. I was chatting with the yamaha canada rep a few months ago and he said they have an artist that goes through a trombone slide pretty much yearly. To my knowledge the only thing you can do is where gloves and wipe it down afterwards. It won't be a complete solution, but it should give you extra time with the horns anyhow. I would also look into those leather valve casing covers. At the very least you'll get more life out of your valves lacquer.

Long & McQuade - Products - Bach Valve Guard - Black Leather

I also realize wearing gloves isn't necessarily the hippest answer out there, but like I said this is information based on someone who's dealt with it...

Hope it helps,

Dutchie

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Sounds like your body chemistry is really bad for silver and lacquer coatings.

From what I've heard gold is the most resiliant plating you can get, but it's obviously very expensive as well.

Might be worth the investment if you're literally eating through your horns.

4. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Harvey, there are numerous thread on this forum that discuss that very issue. There does not seem to be a single answer. You have already seen some of them. The valve "gloves" only work if they cover every possible point of contact and few do that. Wearing a glove on the left hand can help but most find that uncomfortable and not really useful. Some, like Louis Armstrong, hold the trumpet with a hankie in the left hand. That can double for wiping the face when the conditions warrant, but most do not think that a hankie looks cool so it is not a popular solution. If you eat through lacquer, you will do the same with silver so that doesn't help. Gold plating, as mentioned, does work but is expensive.

There is a product called Protect-a-clear from Everbrite which supposedly is more resistant to such erosion than lacquer. I have used it for refinishing horns but my hands are not corrosive (I can play for hours on raw brass with no effect) so I have not been able to prove that it is effective in that situation.

You will see that most of the threads pose the question but never really come back with results so in the end, you will sort of need to just try things that you think will work.

Let us know if you find something. There are others still waiting for an answer.

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Leather Specialties makes a deluxe valve guard that covers everywhere your left hand and right thumb touches

6. harveyhassanator

harveyhassanator Pianissimo User

Sep 5, 2010
    Britain
    yeah, i got one of those but it doesnt cover everywhere but, they do work well. i just asked a pro i know and he says a clear nail varnish can work but not sure if i want to put that on my strad :/

7. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I use a leather hand guard , and use clear nail polish on all contact points, including those under the hand guard on my silver strad. I've done this to all my horns . Before I started doing this, I actually wore through the metal on my first and third valve tuning slides on the Olds that I using, and had to get patches put on them.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I have to wear gloves. Very sweaty and green after 20 minutes. Yuk. Switch between black with rubber dots to white marching depending on how formal I need to be :D.

9. wolfmann

wolfmann Pianissimo User

Aug 19, 2010
    I have the same problem.
    I used the leather cover thing but it quickly wore out.
    What has worked for me over the years is the Armstrong method except I use a silicone polishing cloth.

10. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    harvey,
    I ate through the lacquer on my bach student trumpet very fast. When I got my Olds, it was raw brass. I had Kanstul relacquer it, and now, after two years, still absolutely NO wear. That's because the new epoxy based lacquers don't come off. This is now the cheapest and most effective solution as even gold plate wears a bit in certain cases.