Best way to ship a trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jgotteach, Jul 9, 2011.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Monette always ships the case extra. Bubblewrap, foam chips (they are made out of potato starch these days) and a VERY sturdy box are what they use. If that is good enough for a 12 grand trumpet, it should be fine with everything else.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Take it to mind that the actual shipping charges two way for a trumpet can cost more than $100 as escalated by value of insurance. Add to that the costs of shipping materials and the wage time of the packer and neither of these are inexpensive. I'm thrifty or if it pleases you ... a recycler. My preferred box size is 26" x 12" x 12", that adds 2" combined bell and leadpipe / receiver end protection. The box I'm currently using is now on its 4th trip and I expect a 5th back to me, 2 via USPS Priority Mail and as it will be, 3 via UPS parcel service. What is unusual in my outgoing package is that I first put the trumpet in a common tied tight with a bow common kitchen garbage bag. What I hope this last does is reduce any possible abrasion of the instrument from the packing materials and / or fine particles of the packing from entering the horn.

One problem with including the case amounts to the condition of the case and whether or not it was specifically designed to secure and protect the instrument within. My experience with pre-owned instruments most often finds non-original cases and cases that need structural repairs, not excluding broken latches, handles, and hinges. I won't describe some of the interiors because I don't want any to wretch on their computer keyboards as they read this.