Best workout book?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Blazing Asian, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Blazing Asian

Blazing Asian Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2006
    Besides the Arbans book, which book is best? I need some help picking out a new book to workout of.

2. uatrmpt

uatrmpt Piano User

Nov 29, 2003
    AL
    Are you looking for books that focus on technique or perhaps an etude book?

For etudes, my recommendation is Masterworks for Trumpet by Jay Arnold. The quality of the printing/paper isn't the best, but it contains the following sets of etudes that are normally sold as seperate books: St. Jacome 12 Artistic Studies; Bousquet 36 Studies; Gatti Five Studies; Brandt 34 Etudes; and complete 1st trumpet parts fromLe Coq D'or, Scheherzade, and Tchaikovsky's 4th and 6th Symponies. I purchased mine from Robert King Music for about $12 five years ago.

Some other great etude books are Walter M. Smith's Top Tones (MUST have a solid high C to work from this one); 27 Melodious and Rhythmical Exercises by JL Small; and, Trumpet Flow Studies by Vincent Chicowicz (available from Tulsa Band).

For technical exercises, you can't beat the standards like Irons, Schlossberg, and Clarke.

3. Blazing Asian

Blazing Asian Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2006
    Oh...I forgot to mention, does anyone know a book that has at least three solid not-that-hard pieces of music written for just one Trumpet player, and perhaps written by a notable composer?

And uatrmpt, I will defiantly look into those books you listed, thanks!

4. Happy Canuck

Happy Canuck Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    Toronto, ON Canada
  5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    The most butt kicking book available is the Aaron Harris studies book. It's hard. They are mostly violin etudes and Bach transcriptions.

ML

6. valejazz

valejazz New Friend

Dec 11, 2005
    Roma - Italia
    I suggest for daily routine James Thompson's Buzzing Method (ed BIM) and the five books trumpet method by Anthony Plog (ed Balquhidder)

7. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    I love Harris's stuff. Besides that one his 32 Modern Duets and daily studies that are part of the Charles Colin method are very useful. Who is or was Aaron Harris anyway?

Michael McLaughlin

The genuine artist is never "true to life." He sees what is real, but not as we are normally aware of it. We do not go storming through life like actors in a play. Art is never real life.
    Wallace Stevens

8. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    If you're looking for some very musical etudes I would recommend the Sigmund Hering Melodius and Technical Etudes books. And for a variety of other things the Schlossberg Daily Drills and Technical Studies for Trumpet Book is excellent.

9. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    You might want to check out Allen Vizzutti's method books. They contain individual workout things and some short solos. The three books contain a variety of difficulty levels and are fairly inexpensive.