Beta testers needed - Bach Strad mod

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by trumpetsplus, May 13, 2018.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hi Ivan,
    I am interested as soon as this becomes a product.

trumpetsplus likes this.
  2. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Already in the mail......

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Me too.

4. Acludwig1

Acludwig1 Mezzo Forte User

Nov 22, 2016
    Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
    They came in the mail today. Now I just need to wait for my horn to finish getting serviced.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Ivan, we talked about vibrations in the valve block when you were here. I think that I know what is coming...

trumpetsplus likes this.
  6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    You're just now figuring it out? :)

7. trumpetsplus

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I am starting to receive feedback from this forum and from my customers. It is all positive so far.

Here is one that more or less summarizes all the others:
    I tried this with a very skeptical mind [ed. interesting - his college trumpet professor is well known for tinkering]. However, I could feel and hear the difference right away! It seemed to take the extraneous buzzing or vibration from the trumpet and all that was left was a solid core of sound. Others have also remarked at the improvement in my sound. I have also tried it with three other trumpet players and they all felt the same. (High School Band Director/Trumpet major - Bach 37)

and another:
    This really works! It helps me produce a quick, focused attack and a more centered sound.... For me, it works better than heavy weight caps. Even better, it doesn't add any extra mass. (Freelance/Jazz player - carefully prepped [blue-printed?] Bach 43)

8. trumpetsplus

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    But if you want flowery!
    Poets and musicians have much in common: Both constantly look to improve the acoustical quality of their instrument. While poets might employ onomatopoeic expressions, musicians, too, utilize aural devices to create a bridge that connects their concept of sound to that which will resonate with their audience.
    As trumpet players, our instruments are imperfect. Advanced players are in a constant state of compensating and adjusting to make the imperfect perfect.
    A visit to Ivan Hunter's studio and workshop is a unique experience. One can plainly see that Ivan is more than a very gifted trumpet player and teacher. He's an innovator. Though a short hallway separates his teaching studio and workshop, the strong connection between the two rooms is palpable, and it's there in that space where the master craftsman and musician do their best work. You see, Ivan understands the challenges of the trumpet player and the inherent shortcomings of the modern trumpet's design. He understands that in the trumpet world, a millimeter is mile.
    On a recent visit, I expressed some concerns regarding intonation with my circa 1972 C large bore Bach Strad.
    "Hold on", said Ivan. He reappeared with a prototype design (unnamed at the time, so let's call it an aural device) that he recently developed to deal with a not so apparent design flaw in the horn. Not only did it improve my particular issue, the overall resonant quality of the horn improved.

Thank you, Ivan Hunter!
    (Recreational player - budding poet)

9. trumpetsplus

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Well it can't be the end of the world.

A sign in my workshop:

IMG_0946.JPG

10. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010