Better Air

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Flugellover, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I too have a problem with the "blow more air advice" It's not the amount of air we use, it's how we use it. It's not the quanity, it's the quality. make sure that when you breathe in that the air fills up from the bottom of the lungs. Now this is how we normally breathe so it's not a different skill that we have to learn. But for some reason when we try and play a wind insrument some players will start taking shallow breaths. Doesn't work.

Before we go any further why is your director telling you to blow more air? What do they want you to change?

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Read what rowuk is writing carefully. He has the key to setting up the optimal muscle position for the "bellows" to maintain optimal function. It's not about force, but about relaxing breathing, and if you optimize lung volume and elasticity with proper position, as rowuk is noting, you are practicing good technique to maintain Better Air.

3. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US

Whoops, I was thinking about this a little while ago and doing the breathing. I said this completely backwards. Breath in for 4 and out for 8 with a steady stream. I dont think what I said will harm you for your breathing, but it is not what I wanted to say.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually Cody you were closer the first time around. 8 counts to breathe in means that we are not rushing anything. Much better for good habits. What you find out this way is that it is easier to get rid of the air than it is to take it in. That is proof of what I said above. There is no difference with in or exhale time and effort if the body is set up correctly. Force is the WORST option!

5. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US

I was trying both breathing routines and I found the first to be much harder. A DCI instructor it helping our band for marching and he swears by the in 4 out 8. He has us do that for 144 measures, or 12 times. We have to keep a steady stream of air on our exhale like we were blowing through the horn. He does it for 8 out so we dont use force, we have to ration out our air to keep it steady.

6. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    From Tim Kent's notes on Herseth's lessons, here is breathing broken down to simple but absolutely correct concepts from the master.

When taking a breath, pronounce the word "ho" yet inhaling at the same time.
    When using this method for practice, put hand on stomach and chest - it should move out on its own due to lungs filling up.
    For getting the feeling of an absolutely open airway and flow, put one end of a toilet paper roll in mouth and inhale - note the equal ease of inhaling and exhaling.
    Breathe from low in the lungs rather than from the chest. If done correctly, the stomach will go out on its own.

Too much over-analysis on breathing leads to nothing but confusion. The above is simple, logical, and it works.

RT

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yes, rowuk is correct. The 8 in 4 out makes good physiological sense. Cody, your DCI marching band director (that swears as you so note) appears to be a Doofus. In fact DCI stands for Doofus Cornet Instructor, I do believe.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  8. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US

That is pretty funny. I will have to tell him that on Monday. I believe that I was correct first, then rowuk confirmed it. ;-)

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The DCI instructor is trying to accomplish something else. Tension helps weaker players play a bit higher, a little bit longer before everything falls apart. It is their job to suck everything out that they can. There is no time for what is right. They only have a couple of days to sort things out. The student is the one getting screwed UNLESS they came with the right habits and in SPITE of eternal ignorance manage to keep the straight and narrow.

I am not saying that DCI is bad per se, I am saying that you better show up really solid or you will have some nasty habits to break after the season is over......

10. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Rowuk, I know you do not like, heck maybe even hate all things DCI but that just is wrong. I've been around a lot of Corps (all of the top 10 recruit almost straight out of Texas), and all of my band directors are Vets. Neither I, nor them can think of one corp or instructor that advocates any form of tension. There is NO WAY any person can do a twelve minute show, while playing at their volume levels, doing the shows that they do with any sort of tension. Cody is in Florida and Teal Sound comes to mind, he could be an open class guy but I am not sure. But, like I said, no instructor is going to want tension, much less teach it. The exercises they do are mainly about control, but these players are watched diligently so that they aren't doing it with any tension. And a few days to fix things? I don't think so on that either, the camps are ALL DAY with an hour or two everyday devoted to just breathing. We are talking about a month before the first show, but three overall, plus the camps in between.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012