Better embouchure set equals less ChopSaver

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Fudleysmith, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Fudleysmith

Fudleysmith Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2006
    Niantic, CT
    This thread is not a discussion of the efficacy of ChopSaver. I like it, and as Dan Gosling can attest, have purchased more than 70 tubes (most of them as Christmas presents to bandmates and the kids in our church youth orchestra).

What I have noticed in the last few weeks is that I use considerably less of it after gigs and rehearsals than I used to.

Back in January I embarked on an embouchure mod to close my lip set (many thanks to Bob Odneal and John Lynch). It has been difficult, but I'm getting over the hump now. I believe that I spend more than 50% of the time on the closed set now. I still fall back into old habits, but I'm quicker to recognize it now.

Aside from much easier interval jumps and finally understanding how "use your air" can actually work [with an open set, adding more air didn't do much], I have less lip swelling and use less ChopSaver.

Anyone else ever experience this?

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Either that, or you've used ChopSaver long enough that its "magic" has started to work on you.:D

3. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Yes. But it took a long time to figure out how to close it. Breath support is much more efficient with the closed apperture. More sizzle, too.