Better playing all of a sudden - What's the reason??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rviser, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rviser

rviser Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2008
    Ok, so in the past, I have not been very big into warmups. I normally show up to the gig, play a few notes and go to it. All of a sudden, lately, I have found that I am making it through my long gigs much stronger now and as of last night, started squeaking out notes above double E, when the E was my normal limit (on a good night!). Here are the two major things I can see that I have changed: 1. I switched from a Warburton Q backbore to a Warburton 4, which is quite a bit tighter. 2. I've started doing a nice long 5-10 minute warm-up out of an Arturo Sandoval book, that involves going down into the low pedal tones, followed by some brief flexibility exercises. I've been doing this early in the day, hours before a gig.

Last night, I went to go up high a few times and overshot an E and squeaked out something around a double G, it was crazy! The only other thing I can think of is that I'm just getting over a cold sore right in the middle of my bottom lip and there's a small hard spot, but surely that wouldn't be altering the mechanics of my lip buzzing in a favorable way. So, I'm guessing it's either the backbore is working MUCH better for me, the warm up earlier in the day is making a big difference, or it might be a combination of the two. Any ideas on what could be doing this??

Ryan

2. BenH

BenH Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2008
    UK
    Which Sandoval book is it? If it's the Intermediate one, I use the same warm up, as well as the endurance exercise a bit further on (not before a rehearsal though). That and some Caruso seems to have caused my playing to improve in a big way. Nothing as major as yours, but it could well be the warm up.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Double E? Double G? (2 octaves above the staff) If true, of little musical value. Definitely not impressive. Heck even Pat Hessions Eb over double C on the Monette site really is of little significance. What does that "warmup" do in the octaves where you can play melodies?

A good night is when you have made a musical statement that moves your audience - closer to your soul instead of further away from the stage. You did not mention music once in your post. I guess THAT is significant.

I will bet that that 10 minutes has nothing to do with the phenomenon. Like most things trumpet, the mind set governs the output. Only serious work improves our playing.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    My guess is the warm-up. A good warm-up (not long or intense, just good) will have benefits all day. The backbore might be a factor if it improves the balance of your mouthpiece with your horn. If the whole thing is just a placebo effect, who cares? Keep kicking butt!

Have fun!

5. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    What about tone and stuff?

The backbore will make it easier to hit the high notes, which will make your chops last longer.

6. rviser

rviser Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2008
    My bad, I must have been confused all these years. I had always thought E above the staff was called double E, and the next one up was triple E.

Well, when multiple people grab you before you can get out the door to tell you how badass they think you are, how intense your playing was, and how much they enjoyed it, I don't think it's worth spending too much time worrying about whether you played "musically" or not Rowuk.....

7. soloft

soloft New Friend

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Most likely your warm up. It's just like doing any sort of exercise: if you start cold, you're gonna get tired faster. If you start warm and stretched, then you'll have an easier time through out. Warm ups are an essential part of a routine.

8. rhosch

rhosch New Friend

Feb 19, 2009
    Funny, though I love classical music with a passion, I have always thought that what Maynard and Bill Chase did contributed to music. I guess I was mistaken.

9. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Hard to say if it's the warm up or the back bore, but if you're consistantly playing better at the gig, it looks like it's working.

10. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    I hate to jump in on a question aimed at someone else, but all-in-all we play trumpet in order to make music. If you don't worry about musicality then what does your playing mean to you? noise?

The quality of a player depends, not only on the reaction of the audience, but also the player's understanding and willingness to take something that was good (or even great) and make it better. In the end, there is no "good enough" when it comes to musicianship. There are only personal best and individual soul (this second one especially in jazz).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.