Better playing all of a sudden - What's the reason??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rviser, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Isn't it always a matter of perspective? If squeaked E to G above the staff is badass, then we also know enough about the audience too.

Don't get me wrong, range CAN also be an additional tool for musical expression - if there is maturity and musicality to back it up. I only noted that there was no mention of music in the original post, now you have confirmed that that was no accident. No sense commenting any further, other than to say that there are enough trumpet players that concern themselves with music first and badass second. A sure sign that puberty has been left behind.

2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

WOW!!!!!!! Thank you Robin.

OLDLOU>>

3. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    :worthy: Rowuk

4. rviser

rviser Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2008
    Oh my GOD! Look man, I've always held back comments on some of your posts, always thought to myself, this guy is a know it all jerk. I've never felt the need to tell you, but this time you're aiming that crap directly at me. Let me tell you that when I play, I put my heart and soul into every single note. I notice you only responded to one of the three comments I typically get from people in the audience. If someone tells me it was intense or ESPECIALLY that they enjoyed it, then I think that's a good indicator that I'm not playing "noise". If I'm enjoying it, the audience is enjoying it, and the people I play with are enjoying it, then what's the problem?!?! I don't know who you think you are, or what you think you are, but to me, you're nothing but a jerk who likes to jump in and take away other people's thunder and spew out negativity. (language edit) Just so you know, I went out and played last night and tested the waters once again, and those high F#'s, were definitely not squeaks last night. And if you doubt that there is musicality in my playing, I will gladly make a recording and post it on here so everyone can see and hear what an IDIOT you are!! We do it big in Louisiana, you Germans wouldn't know anything about that with your beergarden bop!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2009
    simonstl likes this.
  5. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Uh oh.....

This is gonna be bad...REAL BAD.....

6. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    rviser...you must have read and "paid attention" to one of my comments on a previous thread. Ah yes, the warm-up. I consider this a very important part of "trumpeting" before getting down and dirty and blasting away at a gig. 10 to 15 minutes of getting the lip warmed up will do wonders. I would make a few analogies to make an example, however some on here might not think them to be "politically correct"...what happened to the good old days when you could freely express yourself.

Be as it may, CONGRATS on getting into the "groove". Do not worry about previous comments on your high register conquest...MF and his band where constantly playing in the stratosphere...go for it my friend!

7. rviser

rviser Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2008
    Thanks George! And thanks to everyone else on this thread who had positive things to say, or said something that wasn't negative.

I just can't believe someone who makes comments about "leaving puberty behind", could then turn around and be so immature as to judge someone's playing and be so negative when they haven't even heard it. Very poor taste indeed....

8. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway

[​IMG]

9. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    [​IMG]

10. samdaman

samdaman Pianissimo User

Jun 15, 2006
    Baltimore, MD
    So... can I sell tickets to this thread.

I think we need to remember one thing here people. We are all on the same team here. TM is all about the advancement of trumpet players and our craft. I think we all need to take a step back and re-evaluate (as one of my great mentors once said). On a day to day basis, some of us may play 1st trumpet in a symphony or lead on a big band or funk band or we may play the 1st exercise in Arbans (or everything just mentioned). WE as trumpet players are Chameleons (just like Maynard's album). I think it is important to be well rounded and versed in many different styles so we can blend in to that genre. I think Rowuk is right in saying that musicality is about tone and expressing the music. I also think that rviser is right in that the audience gives a good indicator of musicality. I also disagree with both of them in the type of rhetoric they used to get there points across.

Trumpet players are some of the nicest, most easy going people I know. We always have a story, a laugh, and talent to bring to the table. However, I suggest that you check the expletives and name calling at the percussionists door ;-). No, seriously; treat everyone how you would like to be treated.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.