Better playing all of a sudden - What's the reason??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rviser, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    I just hope the mods get here before some kids decide to look at this thread and infer this sort of discussion is good, proper, and appropriate response to criticism between adults of civil leanings. Trumpet players.....Gotta LOVE EM!

2. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    [​IMG]

MF User!

3. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    Audience enjoyment comes first, whether they think you are sublime, inspirational, or just "badass". Obviously, the prepubescent will lean towards the third option.

IN BEFORE THE LOCK! :play:

4. Labidochromis

Labidochromis Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2009
    Armstrong BC.
    :-|

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  5. rviser

rviser Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2008
    You're right Sam, and I have gone back and edited my post to make it a little more PG-13 rather than R. I apologize for my expletives and ranting, it's just that the last two nights, some things came out of my horn that I've been waiting years and years for. And for someone to downplay that and call me not musical just really really irritated me. I don't want to make it look like I have a bad character, I'm just REALLY passionate about playing the horn.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    RVISER,
    a couple of things: I am an American, I have been playing since 1966 and have been teaching since 1975. I have plenty of experience with all types of players. Instead of digging a deeper hole, think about what I said. Great players simply have nothing to prove. The negativity that you seem to feel is simply the result of your attitude.

Hard work adds notes not 10 minutes. If it were that easy, everybody would be there.

As far as my comments on your posts, you were the one that put badass before musicality, you were the one to talk about "squeak" and claim an octave that you didn't have. As far as holding back to comment my posts, if your language gets any stronger, I will edit the childish use of profanity. Your opinion remains yours and if you need to cut me to feel better, OK.

I would very much enjoy hearing something inspired from you. That would not make me an idiot, rather would be the first evidence that you understand why I am passionate about what I do.

7. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Rowuk, I applaud your patience with the way some people treat you on these forums.

Rviser, please record yourself. I would like to hear your high notes and something musical.

ps. I always love when people jump towards race or nationality when they have been criticized...

8. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Self portrait?! ROFL

9. rviser

rviser Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2008
    Who said I had anything to prove? I certainly don't recall saying it. This whole argument started because I posted in all excited and happy (not cocky) that something I'd always wanted had happened for me. You had to come in and start questioning my musicality. Even after I admitted I was confused on the notes and that they were E's and G's above high C (Not double E's and G's) you still continued w. the insulting remarks.

Not hardly, the negativity I feel comes from having my musicality criticized and shot down by someone who's never even heard me play before.

Call it whatever you want, whether it comes from my switching to a tighter backbore, warming up better, or whether it's a combination of those things and the hard work, who cares, because like McDonald's - I'm lovin it!! Perhaps you took offense to my post because it refutes your basic belief, that no change in equipment helps at all and only hard work can help. Hmmm, I guess you don't believe in the Wedge either, even though hundreds of people have claimed immediate good results....

I'm sorry, did I once say "I'm badass", did I once state "I am a badass"?!?! No, I said that someone came up and told me that, so what?!?! When I hear Wynton play a great solo, I think, man, that's badass. When I go down to New Orleans and hear those sick brass band horn players, I turn to someone and say, "Man, those guys are badass". Sorry, I suppose just because some RANDOM person says you're badass, that somehow magically translates to "You have no musicality and are a prepubescent person who is immature and only wants to be the alpha male"......I'm sorry dude, but THAT is complete BS.

Squeaks have a way of turning into full, well rounded notes, but then again, I shouldn't have to be the one to tell you that because you've been teaching since 1975.

And if you feel the need to judge someone's musicality based never having heard them before and on the adjectives that others use to describe someone's playing, well, then I really don't know what to tell you, but I sure feel sorry for your students...

You know, the fact that someone a few posts ago made the comment about applauding your patience for the way others deal with you on this board says it all. Do I detect a pattern here?!? I am confident enough in my playing that I know I'm getting better, and I know I'm playing well, and I sure as crap don't need your approval. But I would hate for some younger kid to come on here and tell everyone about something good that happened and you tell him it's wrong. Perhaps the moderators need to change the guidelines to reflect the fact that you are not allowed to insinuate that you have done something good or have played something musical until you gain the full agreement and seal of approval from Rowuk first! My bad, I must have missed that rule.

What's funny here is that several weeks ago, I posted in that I had played a short rehearsal earlier in the day and noticed I lasted longer and played better at that night's gig. I asked if perhaps warming up had helped. You wrote back and said no, you shouldn't do that, and basically preceeded to state that this type of practice will make you tired before the gig and you will be cheating the customer and not giving them 100%. And I KNOW that if I had wrote in and said I was gonna try a tighter backbore to help me, you would have replied w. the Rowuk standard "Change of equipment will not help, only hard work and time in the practice room"

HMMMMM, funny that the backbore and that the playing earlier in the day are the ONLY things that have changed about my routine, and the difference lately has been night and day. So, you may think you know everything, but obviously you do not.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go play a gig, oooops, I mean, go pollute other peoples ears with my noise and non-musicality, but don't worry Rowuk, I will be sure the audience is ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN about what is going on. When someone comes up to me tonight and says "You're badass" or "I really enjoy you're playing", I'll tell them, "No I'm not, and I suck, because this guy over in Germany who's never even heard me play, said so".

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    :-(

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.