Better playing all of a sudden - What's the reason??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rviser, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    [​IMG]

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Rviser,
    I'm suspecting that you're trying to find excuses to NOT practice. Could it be that you realise ROWUK is correct again, and that the long slow notes that he proposes to us all, and which you have been adopting regularly, have actually put you in a position where your natural talent is able to come to the fore. Oooops, think what might happen if you followed more of the advice and practiced sensibly a bit more - nahhh, that would be far too radical, don't you think? ;-)

Don't get steamed - get into the practice room a bit more and find out for sure if we are wrong - it'll never hurt, and you may be even better than you think you are (hey, that's a good thing). :oops: Please don't take offence, none is intended - we just want to encourage another musician how ever badly we express it. :cool:

3. rviser

rviser Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2008
    Rowuk,

I appreciate the apology and I do understand where you are coming from. I would also like to apologize for the things I said. Yes I was upset, but, I definitely could have used some restraint rather than blowing up on you the way I did. I haven't ever heard you play, but from the advice you give and the opinions you have, I can ascertain that you are a very high caliber of player.

All that said, let's talk about me :-) I started playing in 4th grade in Brazil. Moved back to the U.S. in Jr. High and did the concert band, grew up playing all region band, all state band, etc. Started playing jazz in 9th grade and enjoyed it, it became my main focus as it was just more "exciting" to me then concert and symphonic stuff. Don't get me wrong, I love playing stuff like the Hummel concerto and baroque, but it seems like the opportunity rarely presents itself. I graduated college in 2000 and didn't really pick up the horn again until around 2005, playing around to Aebersold tracks in my living room. When I moved down to Louisiana, I discovered a vast music scene with lots of funk and lots of jamming. That's where I found my heart. Down here we play a lot of blues, funk, some reggae, stuff like that. Songs usually consist of lots of horn parts then open up for everyone to solo. I usually don't like to hold back on solos (not because I have too much testosterone Rowuk ;-), but because I just get so into it I want to give it all I got). I often run out of steam but since I changed to the backbore, it seems to have gotten a bit better. I don't do much practicing at all other than playing jams, gigs, rehearsals, etc. Although, I do feel like I should be working on technical studies, flexibility studies, all those things that teachers had me do through my years of private lessons, just because I know it's good to work on things like that.

Where do I want to go with my playing? I'm pretty happy with my improv. I'm pretty creative and playing a high energy solo usually isn't too difficult. At this point I just want to continue playing at the level I'm at and work on my endurance so that I can continue to do what I want to do at the time. Nothing sucks more than kicking into a funk groove and not having the energy to play the ideas that are in your head.

I also would like to explore more of the advanced areas of theory, you know, being able to take some arabian sounding scale or one of those pentatonics and apply it to a solo. I know those can open up notes that normally don't sound right if you play them alone.

I'm extremely inspired by the horn players I hear down in New Orleans, their music is extremely high energy, lots of high wailing, trills, very powerful, all that good stuff. I really like that style of music and am listening to as much of it as I can and trying to emulate it in my playing.

Anyways, I am really spilling it all out and I apologize for the length. Again, sorry to everyone for my behavior and sorry for blowing up on you Rowuk.

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Let's have a chorus of Kumbaya!

:grouphug:

5. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    I really should be more carefull with what I write here since I use my real name and me beeing a professional but well...Trumpetplayers should and NEED to have confidense so here goes:
    God knows how many...but trust me; I have MANY MANY oh so MANY times been disturbed by rowuks answers here. That beeing said I also understand that he is VERY experiensed and really have a lot to give. In this case he made a new "record" in my book in both stupid, arrogant and harsch responses I have ever read...even thogh he often...really really often do that.
    Rviser: I am happy that you are doing great!...keep kicking but! and ignore comments from arrogant players. :)

One thing I was surprised by though: It was good of Rowuk to apologise. It was good of him to do that.

-Robert Slotte-

trumpetplayer from Finland.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
    simonstl likes this.
  6. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    one more thing: if my account here on TM now suddenly would not just work (wonder why) I really could not care less. A trumpetplayer should know what he owns and what he needs to work on. What the rest THINK makes no different.

7. brass2009

brass2009 New Friend

Mar 18, 2009
    The reason believe it or not is because of the pedal tones. They stimulate the muscles in your lips and get them ready for playing. That's why your endurance has increased. Also if you don't have much time to warm up do some lip or mouthpiece buzzing before playing. DO NOT just start playing without warming up you can damage your lip muscles that way. Hope this helps!

8. bender-offender

bender-offender New Friend

Mar 18, 2009
    Not to bring this thread back to the top in the list in topics, but I have to say it was interesting to read having it go from :-o and :D to :huh: to :shhh: toROFL to :shock: to :thumbdown: to :evil: to :grouphug:.

In my opinion, I think all trumpet players have an ego. From what I've noticed it's always been an unspoken competition between one and another. No, don't say there isn't one -- I'm sure when we were younger we'd always study other trumpet players from other bands to see if "you could play that (or not)." Or you'd hear a counterpart bust out a high R and get jealous. I'm guessing that's what causes people on this forum to throw in their knowledge to someone else's praise? Don't get me wrong, it is invaluable knowledge, but I don't think it should become personal attacks.

I think the trumpet is probably the only instrument where the size of your range can be very impressive, as well as an uphill battle which everyone works towards. So for a young person such as Rviser to bust out a high E to G was probably a very exciting moment. I still get excited when I get in that range. It just sounds so freakin'cool to be coming out of your horn!

On the other hand, Rowuk has an extremely valid point in that no matter how high you can play, you ain't going to get gigs if you don't have a sense of musicality. I work with sampled trumpets daily which I can bust out a quadruple C if I want to, but I never use them in final mixes because there is no musicianship or expression or proper articulation or LIFE to them.

Now my only question to Rviser, are the 10 - 15 minutes you warm up before a performance the very first warm up of the day before you go on stage? Or do you warm up earlier, then just do a quickie before the performance? I think if it's the first warm up of the day, and you're poppin' out high E to G's, maybe you could warm up a little more at home before you arrive at the gig so you don't permanently injure your chops. It'd be like everytime a sprinter runs a race, they just go straight to the lane without stretching or jogging. They'd kill their muscle for good.

Anyway, cheers!

9. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    this is by far the most interesting thing i've read today xD

in my opinion, the player itself is all that matters. If you're having fun playing, all is good. obviously it's a good thing if the audience agrees.
    my range isn't really impressive either. I can play written music up to high G at home (G above high C), and am by far not confident enough to take those pieces to any performance. I'm practising Brandenburg Concerto Nr. 2 right now, and I'm getting better at it every time I play it. (or try to play it)

But as I said before, as long as you are having fun playing, and the audience doesn't run away, it's all good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.