Better playing all of a sudden - What's the reason??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rviser, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Also mpc pressure must remain at a minimum, but it's rest that builds the endurance, not playing.

2. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    rviser, first my disclaimer. There are folks here with a whole lot more experience and knowledge, I'm just trying to take a common sense approach. With that said:

I think there's the majority of your swelling problem.

Please forgive another sports analogy. In my youth, I was quite the gym rat. When weightlifting, all the experienced guys would preach "Form, form, form". If you get to the point where you're form's going bad and you're wrestling the weight up, then you need a break. I think the same with trumpet playing.

Yes, play until you get tired, then take a break. Be very aware of your form. Work with a clock or timer, or just count measures, and (like weightlifting or running) push yourself just a little farther than you did the last time. Just don't overdo it. Eventually, you should get to the point where you can get through your gigs without the additional "pressure and play" approach, and your lips should fare better as well.

So there's my free internet advice. And worth every penny:D

Good Luck,
    Steve

3. rviser

rviser Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2008
    Guys I appreciate the advice. Obviously I'm doing something wrong because I've been going out and playing a lot each night for a good while now. The endurance should have gotten to where it needs to be by this point. I'm going to try resting more and putting the horn down when I start getting tired and see what happens after a while.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The lips swell regardless. I had a heavy concert yesterday (Pictures at an Exhibitition among others) and also noticed the swelling (in the mirror). Habits properly built just keep you from greeting the swelling with MORE tension (not only pressure against the lips but also body tension which is sometimes far more destructive).

Endurance is something built up over a fairly long time (months) and can be sometimes comprimised with a day or two of non practice. This is related to your original post, and why I think that 10 minutes is not significant in the big picture. Good playing habits deal with whatever your body does. Investing in the medium to long term is the best medicine for any players goal.

5. soundgrazer

soundgrazer Pianissimo User

Oct 6, 2008
    Montreal
    I think you are getting the high range improvement from the mouthpiece change because I had a similar experience. But I want to warn you not to go too crazy and do a "warm down" after playing your gig especially if playing high notes. I also believe a warm up is really important and should not be intense and one should not play too much right before a gig.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Let's give rviser a chance. I'm going to lock the thread. Everything has been said. If rviser wants to reopen this after a couple of months to post the results, PM me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.