Better tone, lower endurance?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JackTheMusician, Dec 3, 2013.

1. JackTheMusician

JackTheMusician Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2013
    UK
    Recently I've noticed something. I think my tone might've improved! Well done... Oh. Recently with bands I'min and the Christmas season with being playing a lot of jobs, (due to other commitments I usually end up a little late to miss the warm up) but I feel like my lip is getting properly tired after 3-5 marches or carols. As a result I think my range has dice raced, I could get (just about) a top C (C above Stave) but known its limited to a A, if that :(
    It could be a new way I've been playing? (Holding trumpet different and stuff) or what?
    Any diagnosis?

Better tone (I think) but worse endurance- solutions?

Sorry for a lack of sense, I'm on my phone!

2. Harky

Harky Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    Lancaster, PA
    Diagnosis: reduced endurance

Rx: 15- 30 minute warm up before playing - low tones, perhaps pedals to focus the chops - then long tones for endurance - short term fix ... rely on deep breath support not the chops for playing

Prognosis: good to excellent

3. JackTheMusician

JackTheMusician Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2013
    UK
    Thanks, I'll try that :)

4. fredthewhale

fredthewhale Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2011
    New Jersey
    Do you warm down after you finish? i find that helps my recovery time a lot.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Like the idea of a warm up prescription better. For warming down, I sip on a cold drink. Refreshing.

6. Evergrey_rocks

Evergrey_rocks Piano User

Aug 18, 2013
    I have noticed this too. I've improved my tone drastically but I get winded after playing for very short periods of time. Is this the common thing or are the op and I just a coincidence?

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Define very short periods of time.

8. Evergrey_rocks

Aug 18, 2013
    With terrible tone, I could make it through all 3 of my all region etudes (region is 6 days from now) and with good tone, I get winded after playing through either 2/3 of the 1st one, all of the 2nd one, or all of the 3rd one. On days that I don't practice region, I can make it through the hour long band class that I have.

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    My guess that your tone is coming as a result of working harder, blowing harder, using your facial muscles more. Soft practice, note bending a la John Daniels book, and learn how to play more efficiently. Get a consult with Jeanne Gabriel Pocius Dorismund.

10. Evergrey_rocks

Aug 18, 2013
    When I play, I have an extremely relaxed face, I just work harder and blow a bit more air. I'm a singer as well as a drummer. I played the trumpet first and I noticed that as my tone improved on the trumpet, my tone and range improved in my singing. But yeah, I am blowing a bit more and working harder to maintain a good tone, but I'm actually using my facial muscles less than ever before.