Beuscher Aristocrat Student Trumpet circa 1970s vs todays Yamaha student trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Mar 8, 2009.

1. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    okay i play an aristocrat from the seventies. i was wondering how the sound compares to the yamahas that kids are given. i never played one before and was wondering if anyone has any input.
    second question,
    my trumpet is dying, i am looking for a strad cause someone snagged my original one before i could purchase it, but in the meanwhile i was considering buying a cheap horn myself. i have three hundred dollars i am willing to spend. what is my best bet, buy a Yamaha or is there something else?

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    The Yamaha student horns are actually decent student horns. However, if you only have $300 to spend you are not going to find any kind of decent pro horn even used for that kind of money. You can not even buy a new beginner horn for $300. Your best bet is to find some good used student horn.

3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I disagree. That's about how much a lot of the Buescher pro horns sell for on ebay, still.

You can also find decent Holton horns on ebay for that much.

Tom

4. rhosch

rhosch New Friend

Feb 19, 2009
    Both of the first Bach Strad's I purchased used (back in high school) were less than $200. One was in decent shape (looked bad, but had good valves and compression, good slides, no big dings), the other was actually in rather good shape both mechanically and visually. These were found locally... old people who had purchased them in high school, then let them sit in the closet for ten years or more, and decided to sell them when I asked.

But you won't find that on ebay. Or here. Or in your local paper. You have to somehow run across someone in coversation (with them, a friend, or a relative) and discover that they once played, don't anymore, and might still have a horn. If you get lucky, like I did, you can find some real bargains. These are usually the people who have become so distant from music that they don't even care anymore to learn how much a used horn like that is worth. They're just happy to get 200 bucks for something they paid $500 for used fifteen years ago. Sounds like a good investment to them when all of their expensive electronics purchased around the same time isn't even worth it's weight in scrap material.