Beware of playing lead in a big band!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bloomin Untidy Musician, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    2 Bairds who play trumpet?! Where are you man, are we related?!

BTW, I agree, the more rounded a player you are, the easier all aspects of the music comes. A lot of classical players don't play jazz and vice versa and they are fine at what they do. However, take one who is trained
    all around and they can usually play a heck of a lot better. (I know that statement is the epitomy of subjectification) Is that a word?.. HAHA, showtime, peace.

Tim BAIRD aka "The Bear"
    -iii--<

2. bairdstudio

bairdstudio New Friend

Apr 10, 2008
    Thats pretty funny man. I can't say I've ever met another Baird that played trumpet. To answer your question, I'm originally from the Knoxville, Tennessee area (about 20 miles north actually). However, I'm currently located in Nashville.

To elaborate a bit on your comment. I find it rather ignorant or stupid to specialize in one style of music. That is unless you're an absolutely amazing and gifted lead trumpet player. However, I feel other than that its absolutely stupid to say, "I play jazz and only jazz." or "I only play classical." Often I find its mostly the classical snobs that say they'll only play classical music. Granted, I completely understand why, as I am more of a classical player myself. Really only because its screaming chops/lead player for me in a big band, or the classical player with a beautiful tone.
    However, I'm finding that I can completely do both of these things as long as I keep my goal/final destination in sight. i.e. What I want to do with the music and make it sound. Then do what it takes to make that happen.

Besides if you can do it all.. that just means you get more gigs over the other guy. Meaning more $$$$$$$$$

3. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    I think you should start out playing 3rd or 4th under a good lead player in order to develop a sense of style and phrasing. You could consider it paying dues. Most bands I've played in the lead player will occasionally pass lead parts around (to get a break) and there is your chance to try it on for size.

PS I'd rather play 4th in a great band than lead in a lame one.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  4. bairdstudio

bairdstudio New Friend

Apr 10, 2008
    Absolutely! This is how I've received most of my lead playing experience. Only once have I been solely the lead player in a thrown together funk band. That was years ago, and frankly it took about 5 months of playing to really be as solid as I needed to be as a lead player.

And remember in a really good big band, all the players in a trumpet section, except for perhaps the solo guy, are all capable of playing the lead part. This is what gives a good band that energy and intensity needed to really sound good and clean.

5. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA

DUDE.... Now I'm freaked out. Knoxville!! My family is from the Piney Flats area.... Do you know a Dana (now deceased) and Louise Baird? Farmers in the tri-cities? They are (were) my grandparents! Now you're in Nashville?! HAHA, I was thinking about heading there to pursue a Doctorate's. Do you happen to know Dan Oxley? Alternate realities... Da-Da-Daaaa!!

6. bairdstudio

bairdstudio New Friend

Apr 10, 2008
    The name Louise sounds extremely familiar to me. Know of having any family in Campbell or Anderson County?

Not familiar with Dan Oxley. Uh. Tell me some gigs he plays and I might know who he is... You know how it goes, you see guys around town playing, or at the same gigs as you and you never really catch their name.

What university were you looking at to do Doctorate work? I can pretty much give you the scoop with most of the trumpet professors in the greater metro area. (Lord knows I've pretty much studied with all of them from all the damn transfers I've done.)