Beware Of Robert Rowe

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dmc123, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    It's a very good soapbox, as long as the allegations are true, especially after other efforts at rectifying the situation have failed. Of course, we've heard only one side of the story so far...

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    How did he do that?

Restaurant critics do this all the time and get paid to do it! Again, what did he/she do wrong?

Based on what I've read, It's an ongoing storyline and this is just an update!

I appreciate knowing who dishonest sellers are, even if they're members of this forum. Caveat Emptor!

This is exactly what forums are for, and as I've said, I appreciate it and anyone that may consider doing business with this person may appreciate it also (getting off my "soapbox" now!)!

3. rockwell

rockwell Pianissimo User

Dec 6, 2011
    If you have no done so, I encourage you to rate him on eBay accordingly, and try to avail of eBay's dispute resolution features.

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    The OP didn't buy through eBay, so there's no recourse through them. If it was a PayPal transaction, there are remedies there, but probably not after a year has passed.

5. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas

Robert Rowe, the person in question, not recently posted a WTB ad for a horn, to which the OP put it on blast, in the same theme of this thread.

The restaurant critics post in on their blog, or on a website for people to read them, they don't do it in the restaurant itself, that is just plain rude. We have things like Yelp for that.

And I'll group those last few points together. I said I had no problem with this thread itself. This thread is a GOOD THING, and I didn't make that very apparent in my initial reply. It is a good warning to anyone buying a horn from Mr. Rowe, and it keeps instances like this from happening again. Let me reiterate, this thread is a good thing. My issue with the OP was that he continues to publicly badger him, and insult him. That IS something that has NO place here.

Let me draw your attention to what I mean.

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f212/iso-wtb-trade-courtois-evo-ii-69858.html

This is from almost a month ago, the OP is searching for his ads, going out of his way.

View Profile: Robert Rowe - TrumpetMaster

Bringing up his cancer? Isn't that a bit of a low blow? I find both of those particularly out of line.

I feel that I must stress this opinion again, I have no problem with this particular thread, it is safe, and protects those that may not know about Mr. Rowe and prevents further issues. But those posts are going way too far.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Well, I know neither party and had seen both of those links. First, shame on the seller if he indeed was fraudulent. Second, shame on the buyer for guying outside of e-Bay. Maybe they both were motivated by saving money to complete the deal elsewhere. The apparent fact that the horn was checked out by a well known restorer and indeed found to be a mishmash of parts and there being no apparent response from the seller to rectify the situation has left the buyer at wits end. Regardless of whether the seller knew or not, the money should be returned if he has any honor or integrity. Money comes and goes (ask my wife :D) but honor and integrity, you either have it or you don't! $1800 bucks is a lot of money to most people and doesn't come easily. I sense a lot of justifiable frustration from the buyer. I personally would never pay that much for a horn without touching it and playing it. Besides, I have many "Superhorns" found on c'list, and paid a pitance, I can't fathom an e-bay purchase of that magnitude. If this thread gets out of hand, I'm confident of our moderators to reign us back in line.

7. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    I completely agree with you.

8. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    I think that as members of these forums. We need to respect each other and honor a sour deal. Mr Rowe has not rebuttled the OP comments and I wonder if he even knows about all of these posts on here. His last post was on 11-14-12 and I think he needs to be adviced on whats going on. Only fair to do so. Like Tobylou said, 'We've only heard one side of the story".

9. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    Your analogy of a restaurant having bad service is poor. What's being described here is fraud, pure and simple, and while IANAL, I'm sure a court would see it the exact same way.

Reputation is earned and spread by people who go to other people and share their experiences with others. Reputations can be both good and bad. So, leaving a description of a not only poor but outright fraudulent experience is making sure that their earned reputation is well known. The only thing to be gained by not doing so is the satisfaction that you followed the golden rule while allowing the person to do it again. And again. And again. Because, that's how fraudsters work. They stick to a con until it stops working, and then they find a new con (not to be confused with a new Conn).

Coming back to the restaurant analogy, if you went to a restaurant who promised and billed you for a premium experience prior to even serving you, and then served you cold half-eaten fast food, and then blamed you when you objected, would you be inclined to seek out other potential patrons and make sure they know what they can expect?

10. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas

I think you missed the whole point of my post. It wasn't comparing the experience of a restaurant to fraud, but to the retaliation outside this thread, but I'm sure you didn't read that far. The OP personally attacked, not try to work things out but verbally attack him, on his profile page, and his ads. That is where the analogy comes into play. Now onto your statement, would I be inclined to make sure other potential patrons knew of this issue? Heck yes I would! I would post on restaurant websites such as yelp, and if there was a restaurant forum that I was a part of, I'd make a thread just like the OP did. Would I run in to the place in question, yelling at all the potential customers that the place is garbage, would I publicly slander the owner and all his workers, insult them? I think not. I'm not making light of the situation, I'd be pretty ticked off if this happened to me, and it has, but there are mature routes to take. Also, the OP did what Ebay warned him against doing, I'm not saying it is his/her fault, but some of the responsibility lies with them.