Beware Of Robert Rowe

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dmc123, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    I would be flabbergasted if he did know. Since 2006, when I joined TH, Robert posted lots, & just saw a recent post by him. If our poster who was gulled be telling the truth, & Robert, if he has told the truth in the past, he has all the resources to easily make this right.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  2. davidmusing

davidmusing New Friend

Jul 15, 2007
    Melbourne Australia
    In July 2011 I paid Robert Rowe for a brass Martin Committee trombone. He doesn't/won't reply to my emails.

Cacalafacci [Robert Rowe] frequently lists Martin instruments on Ebay.

Whilst Robert Rowe [Cacalafacci] has substantial knowledge concerning Martin instruments and in the past has freely shared both his opinions and knowledge, QUESTION YOUR NEED TO DEAL WITH HIM."

3. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    The description deserves to be quoted in full. I find it somewhat contradictory and chock full 'O red flags. You judge....

5-Day auction, ending MONDAY (USA time)

Vintage MARTIN ~Handcraft ~ COMMITTEE Trumpet. Serial-Number 1391xx. Medium-Bore (#2 on middle-valve casing). Becoming an 'iconic' collectible.

This horn was acquired several years ago, to replace another similar. I have had three of these ~ Handcraft ~ Committee Trumpets. It has been in my own collection of Martin horns, and seldom played. This horn is definitely the BEST playing pre-war (WWII) Committee I have ever played or owned.

NOT 'perfect', of course ( what horn is? ). A valve-alignment is recommended. Plays O.K., as-is. Corks, felts ... possibly valve-springs ... should be replaced. I may have these issues resolved by the time the auction is over. Valve-pistons show wear. Compression is very, very good; nice "pop" can be heard when pulling slides.

Please observe the photo-images carefully. There are no dents. A few little 'pings' and such, here-and-there .... Valve buttons and caps all thread on-and-off nicely, except one upper valve-cap, which seems to be somewhat recalcitrant. I will have it looked at. There is evidence of repair at the bell-bow. I have tried to show this in the last photo-image.
    If you are going to put this offering on your "watch"-list, please check back here, and read the descriptive text for 'updates' that I may post.

No case, mouthpiece, lyre, 3rd-slide pull-ring (the state I acquired the horn) ..

International bidders encouraged. My invoice to any winning bidder outside the contiguous United States -- please await for me to send you an invoice. There will be an upcharge for extra-secure packaging and extra insurance. Domestic (U.S.A.) shipping is $33, which will include ample insurance coverage. I may need additional time in processing the horn for shipping, as I think (?) I will be out-of-state for part of the week following auction end. It is indicated as such in the listing information. No returns. This a unique, vintage horn. My photographic "skills" pale alongside that of professionals. I am a horn-player ... NOT a photographer.

Check back as the auction progresses. I will post comments relative to the valve-cap, corks, and-so-forth, if I am able to get the work accomplished.

Very modest reserve on the horn. Suck-up and bid with gusto. This horn is an investment. Inform your spouse that you are a wise financial expert.

Remember: 5-day auction, ending MONDAY

~ r2 ~

4. Tarh331_Dad

Tarh331_Dad Piano User

Jan 14, 2014
    Jesus H Christ, you're Old School.

What are you, like one of those Oath-Keepers or something?

Next you'll be telling us that you require a district court judge's signature on a warrant before you'll visit any INsecurity upon a citizen's person, house, or papers?

Loser.

Has-been.

Retire already.

[/SARCASM!!! for the humor-impaired]

5. Tarh331_Dad

Tarh331_Dad Piano User

Jan 14, 2014
    Well he basically warned you that the bell was not original and that the valves were shot.

So then the question becomes: Was the compression good, and did the horn play well?

This would be the most damning part of the description, because it seems to be self-contradictory: Is the horn the "BEST" playing, or does it merely play "O.K"?

I guess there the excuse could be that none of his pre-war Committees ever played particularly well.

And then there would be the question of what the word "play" is supposed to mean - does it refer to how the horn feels and responds to the player, or does it refer to how the horn actually sounds to the audience?

All too often I feel like musicians [who ought to know better] don't make that distinction, and don't realize that [in the case of trumpet players] the horn/mouthpiece combination which feels and responds the best to them is not necessarily going to be the combination which sounds the best to the audience.

Coming from a woodwind background, the softest reeds are the easiest to blow, but they sound the worst - to sound really good to the audience, you basically need to go Lowes or Home Depot and make your reeds out of 2x4s, and you learn to just deal with the fact that you're going to burst out a cerebral hemmorage from blowing so dadgum hard. I guess the trumpet equivalent would be that crazy hunk of solidified molten earth which Cat Anderson called a "mouthpiece": Cat Anderson

Another example would be Philip Munds of Baltimore/Peabody fame: "Sometimes, though, a horn's magic is best left undisturbed. 'I bought a Tony Halstead descant horn ... it was just fantastic,' says Munds. 'I played it on Mahler's Fourth and some other big pieces. The horn was well seasoned, he recalls, so one day he took it in to Baltimore Brass to get it cleaned. 'Apparently it hadn't been cleaned in 20 years. They said this yellow toxic ooze came out of the valves. They'd never seen anything like that come out of a horn.' The ooze must have helped the horn, he says ruefully, 'because it never sounded big again.'" http://www.peabody.jhu.edu/past_issues/fall08/tools_of_the_trade/munds.html

And of course no string player would dare to mess with the varnish on a Stradivarius or a Guarneri - even if the fiddle looked hideous.

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Zombie thread - are we really going to freshly rehash events that occurred 3 years ago?

7. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    "And now, wading in with 5 posts.... We have a scintillating.... :-?

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ah, common ANA. It's late January and single digit readings when I awoke this morning. Subterranean mining for an old post, I mean anything to try to stay warmer... right?

9. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    I dunno...I think it's part of the value of such a community to share warnings concerning our common focus.
    Also, some come here only to post an ad for something they recently acquired...knowing they have an interested target audience. Many come here seeking advice. Good advice also...sadly...includes sharing warnings about wolves.

And...I guess the seller is the "Meat-head" Rob Lowe...(you know...those commercials right now with Actor Rob Lowe in them and his alter ego)...
    Sorry. Couldn't resist even though it's a zombie thread. (I know...Rowe...not Lowe..).

10. Tarh331_Dad

Tarh331_Dad Piano User

Jan 14, 2014
    No, actually I was thinking about buying something from him.

But I've become wise enough about the trade to have learned that you need to check the archives at TM and TH before you purchase from these sales artists.

BTW, I thought that it was a really good thread - I learned a lot from reading it.

And I can't believe that there are still LEOs in this little banana republic of ours who give a [email protected] about the Bill of Rights.