Beware Of Robert Rowe

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dmc123, Dec 5, 2012.

1. dmc123

dmc123 Pianissimo User

Sep 7, 2011
    Somewhere
    Is

2. Tarh331_Dad

Tarh331_Dad Piano User

Jan 14, 2014
    My policy now is that I don't put in the bid unless:

1) All pictures are IN-FOCUS. No blurry pictures. And if the seller refuses an eBay PM to provide pictures which are in-focus, then no dice.

2) All angles of the horn must be presented. If, say, the backside is not pictured, then no dice.

Also, it really helps if the seller is honest about their sales position - at the one extreme, the Mom & Pop operations which work out of a pawn shop or who scour the local estate sales looking for good stuff - if they are straightforward and honest and tell you that they are not experts and that the horn is being sold "AS IS", no refunds, then I completely understand their position.

And at the other extreme, the professional guys who obsess about their 100% perfect rating, and who give you a week or so to evaluate the horn with the option to return it - it's great to work with them as well.

As long as sellers are up-front about their sales position, then the remaining burden of entering into the sale is on me.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Also not necessarily a fail safe criterion. I just found someone selling a 1949 Martin Committee, that is using my crystal clear picture of MY 1946 Martin Committee that I have posted here on TM. So what this individual has done is posted a pristine Committee that was refurbished by Tom Green to be in excellent condition, and using that picture to sell his own horn. I called that seller on this miss-representation asking him to remove the picture of my horn on his post, and he has yet to do so.

4. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    And he says: I am very reluctant to sell my near pristine 1949 Martin Committee. After looking at all Committee horns selling on Ebay this one is truly in the best condition and most fairly priced- Not $3500.00 for a horn barely plays. This is the prefered serial number group between 1940 and 1950 (1720XX) and historically the best built and sounding horns over the Deluxe Committee Horns with nickel ballusters/trim.

Maybe his looks as nice, but he can't take good pictures!

5. Zman

Zman Pianissimo User

Dec 24, 2008
    Vancouver, Canada
    I wouldn't buy too much into the idea that certain horns/serial numbers were better than others - the pre 1940's and even some of the 1920's Handcraft horns were way better built than the 1940's horns.
    Most of the design elements existed prior to 1940 also. During the 40's the quality actually went down in comparison to the earlier Handcraft Committee's if you ask me as it was more geared towards production efficiency.
    Interestingly by the 1950's the 'standard' all brass committee was actually the cheapest model - the deluxe versions were more expensive.

6. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    This thread is older than most of my underwear

7. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Smells about the same, though.

8. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    They still get washed no-matter how old they are. Just to clarify

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Before or after you clean you paint brushes with them?

10. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Well, quite honestly, there are some retired undershirts which soak up the paint when I clean off the brushes........they have earned their keep, I would say.......