Beware of Zachary music

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by roltrumpet, Mar 14, 2010.

1. roltrumpet

roltrumpet New Friend

Aug 28, 2009
    This was my e-mail to zachary music:I live in northern Indiana and was wondering if you had any dealers where I could try your horns. I currently play on a zeus guarnerious that I just bought on ebay. Like it alot and sold my bach almost immediatly. I want to try the 470 slide and valve caps but dont know where I can do this. Also very curious as to how that olympus would play but dont want to buy it without playing it first. Any info you could give me would be helpful thanx.
    This was his response:"I dont feel good about you NOT supporting me and NOT buying a Zeus directly from me. Even if the price of new is more, I am the designer of these horns and if people don't support me with their business, there simply will not be any in the future.
    Now you want assistance attention and assistance from me? ZeuS is not sold by any dealer, or store. The only people who can play what I have in stock are the ones who make the effort to visit my warehouse in Detroit. Even they later find out that their trip was for no reason. You may have been conditioned otherwise but my opinion has always been that a great design is a great design and good for every player. I actually find it insulting when anyone is skeptical and wants to try it first. It tells me that they really should not be playing a ZeuS at all. ZeuS does not have to tried". That was word for word what he said to me an owner of his product who was simply trying to find out where I could buy more of his products. People like this are what makes this such a difficult world to live in.:-o

2. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    Wow, that is harsh. Especially coming from someone that could potentially benefit from assisting you. You pay a gracious compliment and still get slammed. With that kind of attitude I would find it very difficult to ever consider Zachary Music as a place to spend my hard-earned money. Maybe you could reply to that email and ask them to respond here on TM. Maybe they could explain things a little further.

3. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Ok, we know all about ZM's eccentric behavior.

If we want to know more, we can just head over to
    a recent THread on THe oTHer trumpet site and read all about it...

4. abtrumpet

abtrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2009
    THat took me a minute but I got it.

5. erd402

erd402 Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2009
    West Virginia
    Why would he need to explain himself further. He doesn't seem to be interested in assisting anyone, so why would he assist you in understanding his illogical logic?

6. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    roktrumpet,

Most of us have been "beware" of Mr. Zachary's eccentric behavior and his website for a long time. Your posting indicates his eccentric behavior goes unabated. He in unlikely to change.

What I find odd in the current details you submitted is that he is "hammering" on someone who happened to buy a used ZeuS instrument. People buy other brands of "used" music instruments all the time from many sources including dealers of used and new brass instruments. Mr. Zachary apparently is upset that a potential customer has possession of a used ZueS instrumeht that didn't come from him. He has a weird attitude and business model. His comments are usually "over the top" and he is certainly "one of a kind." Most dealers don't really care what other instruments/brands you own only that you might wish to buy a new or used instrument from them. So, they try to treat you right to gain (or retain) customers. Mr. Zachary seems to do ag good job of "chasing away potential customers" which amazes me how he stays in business? He must have a "niche" for sure!

Maybe he "fits the bill" for some of his customers, but I wouldn't buy from him. Yet, others are pleased with his business practices and it is their money to spend it how and where they wish?

When I buy "anything" from a dealer, I don't want to feel "browbeaten" by the experience or listen to absurd "stuff" that Mr. Zachary shares. Life is just too short to have to go through that!

Best wishes,

Lloyd

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  7. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    Always two sides to every story, but more than anything, I think it would be interesting.

8. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    Well, I know now. How can a company survive and prosper in this day and age without bending over backward to help their clients? Incredible!

9. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    I just realized that this is the same site that recommends NOT cleaning your trumpet. Trumpet Care Cleaning Maintenance

10. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA

Yep, Mr. Zachary is the man behind the site that has his own ideas about trumpet care cleaning....

Best wishes,

Lloyd