Beware of Zachary music

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by roltrumpet, Mar 14, 2010.

1. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Mr. Zachary's Neighborhood!

Cursing under his breath, Mr. Zachary opens the door and enters. He removes his jacket, flings it into the corner, and says "What you again? It's a rotten day here in the neighborhood, solder blobs and spilled flux everywhere, unsold horns in every empty corner, in the attic and basement, and now you! Get the *%) out of here, before Zeus strikes you with a bolt of lighting!"

Looks away for a moment, pauses, and bends over to pick up a trumpet. Brings it to his lips and plays a short phrase from Wagner. Stops and smiles broadly, and says: "What a gorgeous sound!"

Suddenly he turns toward the audience, grabs the horn with both hands and lifts it above his head as if ready to strike. "You still here, you moron, you sniveling stradivarius suckling baby? I'll show you!" Proceeds to chase the imagined guest around the room, taking frequent swipes with the horn at him.

Lights down. Act II after intermission.

2. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Veery,

That is funny!

Thus continues the "Zachary Soap Opera" as it moves on to Act II.

3. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    He could change all of this with a public apology, a pledge to change his act, then follow through with his pledge. We need moral, reputable sales, service and technical/restorative professionals representing the music professional as well as those of us who simply love music and are amateur all the way.

One bad experience with this type of attitude could turn a promising young musician away from the joy of making music, and that would be a tragedy.

I pray he gets his act together, otherwise as I previously stated, he needs to bow out.

4. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    [​IMG]

5. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I have done my best to not pile on; but after reading the Zachary web site I immediately decided I didn't want to do business with anyone with his attitude or business practices. The most curious thing is that he had a photograph of his personal trumpet on his site--a Bach Stradivarius. It was a Mount Vernon model, but seriously, to so demean an instrument then tell people they shouldn't play the same thing you play. ZeuS may be a fine trumpet, I'll never know because I simply refuse to deal with people like him.

6. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    amzi,

You noted a worthwhile discovery when you said:

"The most curious thing is that he had a photograph of his personal trumpet on his site--a Bach Stradivarius. It was a Mount Vernon model..."

Mr. Zachary is certainly a man of contradictions. It is one thing to buy a used ZeuS instrument from another person or source as it probably is a "fine trumpet" as you say.
    However, we know Mr. Zachary is disgusted when others by "new or used" from anyone except him

Dealing with Mr. Zachary is an experience I would not subject myself to as a customer and apparently you (and others) feel the same way.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Zachary music is a good business study to learn from. While it might be true that he makes a good product, his mouth turns people off.
    His competition is Bach, Taylor, Callichio, etc.. Long established and pretty darned good competion for sure.
    Hopefully he's reading this and will follow this simple plan.
    Stick with what you know, making horns. Let someone else handle the public. To think that dealing with the public is easy is a serious mistake. You'll catch more flys with honey than with vinegar. Let someone with a soft friendly touch deal with the public.
    Good luck Zach

8. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    With his attitude, I seriously doubt that he can be convinced that he needs to change.

Also from what I'm reading on the site, it appears that Zacharymusic does not make their own horns.

From About Zachary Band Instruments

9. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Correct. He tells Kanstul what he would like and they build them.

Its not like he takes them a prototype or anything, he just thinks of the general model specs and then markets them under Zeus, wildly claiming things that are borderline fantasy.

Once he lost his price advantage (I think the original Zeus labeled, modern Bach 37 copy sold for $895 or so) his focal point became his obnoxious personality.
    His actual name is Alex Cichey (sp) or something.

He also lost most or all of his dealers when they found out what a creep he is.

10. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    I think my fellow horn players are missing the main issue here. With all the competition out there and a lot of very good horns out there for sale, the response of Zachary to a potential customer indicates a serious emotional problem with this guy's mental processes. What they are I can't surmise in toto, but an element of paranoia seems likely. So a bit of understanding is necessary, but the warning is there that one should probably not do business with him.... and then it just may be he is an unpleasant person.

Dr. Mike

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010