Bf vs. C mouthpiece?

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by gregc, Dec 19, 2005.

1. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    This Q is for guys and gals who play Bf as well as C trumpets. In your opinion,
    Do you use the same MP on both or is there some reason/necessity to find a seperate MP when going from the Bf to a C horn?
    Thank you,
    Greg

2. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Everyone I know uses the same mouthpiece for both.

3. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    I use a different mouthpiece for each keyed instrument I play. Amongst other things, the length of the mouthpiece you for each isntrument gets shorter as the instrument gets shorter. For example, my b-flat mouthpiece is longer than my C mouthpiece, which is longer than my E-flat mouthpiece. My B-flat mouthpiece is shorter than most standard mouthpieces because most standard mouthpieces (Bach, Yamaha) are actually the correct length for an A trumpet. Some people can't feel this difference, but I think it makes a significant one.

-Jimi

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I use the same rim, cup, etc. for both horns but, naturally, the Bb is longer than the C. Therefore, the mouthpieces correspond in length as well. The same goes for D, Eb, and piccolo.

ML

5. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Piano User

Nov 22, 2003
    Gainesville, Florida
    Bb vs C mp selection

Have used the same mp for both for many many years. However.....

in dealing with some Monette B-11 /C-11 mouthpieces, I found that there were some improvements in ease of pitch control when the C mp was used on the C horn. It was not terribly different but there was some improvement.

Point of interest.....

The Schilke "Symphony" model F-1 is so deep (funnel shaped) and with such a large throat and backbore that in order to keep the pitch it is almost a short in length as a cornet mouthpiece. I thought for sure the pitch would be sharp being so short in length. But it is not! Amazing!

Bill Dishman
    Gainesville, Florida