Bflat Bach Bells.

Discussion in 'Horns' started by dbacon, Nov 27, 2003.

1. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    Bach Bells are very special in how differently they sound and perform.

25 Bell=Smallest flair, comes standard on LB Bachs.

37 Bell=Sweetest sounding bell, standard for years on ML Bachs. A little more flair than the 25.

43 Bell=Seems more projecting than the other bells, a LT 43 works great for Lead work.

72 Bell=Largest flair, seems more fullness and thickness to the sound.

38 Bell=Tighter than the others. I've only played one, a guy from the rodeo had one. Very bright.

65 Bell=Dark, lot's of lower overtones.

I have a 72LT on my old LB Bach, got it after I heard Ernie Royal play! He played one and sounded magnificent! Bernie Glow had one as well. That's the sound I love. I also have a great 37 bell on a ML 43LR. Beautiful sound. Bach Bells are the best.

2. Jeroen Jongeling

Jeroen Jongeling Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Amsterdam!!!
    Hey Dave,

Nice to see there's a Bach forum (finally). If almost every trumpetmanufacturer that makes five horns a year has one, why not give Bach his own, right?
    A question: I've been playing a Bflat 37ML my whole trumpet playing life. I don't play much Bflat anymore, but I'm interested in maybe getting another horn. I've always been interested in the warmth of the 72 bell.

What I would like to know is, if I can get a 72 bell on a normal ML bore, instead of MLV, and will this work? I can imagine that they don't have this combination by accident, maybe the 72 bell only works with the MLV bore?

I've seen a couple of nice horns on Ebay with a 72 bell, but they didn't say ML or MLV. I know I can mail those people to ask, but I would like to know from people on TM with good playing skills and who have experience with a 72ML. All ears...

Jeroen.

3. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    The 72 bell on a ML Bach Bflat is an excellent option. Depending on what you use it for (I'm guessing more orchestral work) a 72HG bell on a regular weight body would give you some tonal possibilities for a large ensemble. 72 bells are broader in sound and fullness, the flair being more immediate and staying larger to the bell skirting. A heavy weight Goldbrass bell gives you more of the lower harmonic series and won't breakup at full volume forte. A bit more air will be needed to get the response, but the result can be worth it. For lighter Quintet playing the 37 bell on a light weight body can work well, depending on your mouthpiece etc. You can order from Dillons a Bach ML/72 bell all regular weight. For me I'd get the 25O pipe, a more open pipe that encourages plenty of air flow.

4. Jeroen Jongeling

Nov 10, 2003
    Amsterdam!!!
    I'm a "sub" (first call) for a couple of symphony orchestras here in The Netherlands. So, I would use the Bflat mostly as a classical player. I, however, would like to cut through a band once in a while, but I guess that's why I would still have the 37ML. What's the story on a 72 with a reversed leadpipe?

5. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.

That would probably be the 25LR/72LT, it would show a * on the bell. Without the * it's a regular weight bell on a Light Weight Body. LR pipes are usually placed with Light Weight Body's. The 25 is the stock LR pipe. You could get a very good trumpet as the 25LR/72 bell, regular weight bell on LT body with the 25LR pipe. It would take 4-6 months to get from Dillons or whoever, but they would get it for you. Probably a very responsive trumpet with some broadness to the sound. Should be no problem projecting!

6. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    http://www.giardinelli.com/srs7/sid...rass/s=trumpet/search/detail/base_pid/461800/

Looks like Giardinelli's has one in stock!

7. Jeroen Jongeling

Nov 10, 2003
    Amsterdam!!!
    Thanks for all your info Dave! I think I'm going to look for a ML72 reversed on Ebay, or the Horntrader. No rush...

8. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    Sounds great! Keep us posted on your progress.

9. Jeroen Jongeling

Nov 10, 2003
    Amsterdam!!!
    Or maybe a large bore...I want a Bflat horn that combines better with my large bore C horn. I'm not sure about the 25 bell that comes standard with a large bore. Guess I just have to try it all. Another possibility is to get a Bflat horn from the same manufacturer that made my custom C horn. You can read some info about him on my website. I'll keep you posted.

Jeroen.

10. Larry Gianni

Larry Gianni Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Hi all,

I have an early Elhart C ( 31,xxx ) with a 238 G bell. I understand it's a vinabonna bell , but what's your opinion on how it will play on a L bore C trumpet. The bell is tuneble. What would you consider to be a more appropiate bell . I have a 25 reversed leadpipe on it.

Also, I have a Mt. Vernon C ( ML ) with a 236 bell . Again it's tuneble, plus has a #7 Bach leadpipe on it. The reciever is the NY Bach style ( long ) so it might have been replaced along the way to me.

Can you give me your opinions of these set-ups. ?

Thanks

Larry

If you have time, here's another one:

Mt Vernon Eb/D Bach which has a tuneble bell with a 311 bell. M bore.
    I'm not woried because of the medium bore because my Schilke Eb / D and Schilke 4 valve Eb are also M bores. The schilkes play much bigger than the Bach. These trumpet get a much more " oratorio " type sound.

Could you modify this one to play better?

Opinions ?

Thanks for you time.