Bidding on a Darby

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gordonfurr1, Jan 6, 2015.

1. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Well...bidding on a DARBY. If I win I will be interested to see how well these play.

2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    They are good horns. Built to be a poor man's version of the Bach Strad. I was going to bid too, but since you are, I will lay out. I am friends with Darby - most essentric person you will ever meet. If you get it, let me know what you think. By the way, I wouldn't go over $270 for that one.

3. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    So far, it looks like the Darby is made by the same company that made the valve blocks Vincent Bach used on many of his early trumpets...along with Rudy Muck and many other small shops...this company also made unimaginable numbers of student horn stencils up until recently, and they bear a striking resemblance to the Bach TR300 (but they are not the same)...

4. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Imagine that. Darby actually worked for Bach and designed their TR-300. The Darby-45 came about a number of years later. He has a family owned shop produce the parts, I believe.

5. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Oh, by all means bid. I am not going anywhere near the $270 mark, hoping for a cheap snag. I'm about where I am stopping right now (around $100). If it goes over $120 I'm not continuing. The name was obscure enough that I wondered if there might be a chance at a snag.

6. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Oh...and eccentric! I LOVE that! I am from the eccentric family tree.

7. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Do watch out, there is a pretty good knock on the bell tube that isn't shown in the photos. I had the owner email a picture of the dent and suggested to be upfront she post it publicly...it is just before the line of the first valve position on top of the bell tube.

8. ConnDirectorFan

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    Blessing seems like it - the valve casings look identical to various Blessing Standard-derived models from the 1960s and later...the Scholastic is the model that is similar to the TR300 - many old Bach-Bundys look strikingly similar to the Scholastic...and Blessing is/was family-owned as well, imagine that...

9. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    It went for a tad more than I was willing to spend...still a very good deal.

10. ConnDirectorFan

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    Well, I discovered this Besson (claimed to be such) with similar valve casings, and I remember Elmar mentioning Besson trumpets with "Chinese valve blocks intended for Blessing", but I do have photos of a Jupiter-made Besson 608 marked ROC - it has identical casings.

Besson Trumpet | eBay

I think, even if the valves are from Taiwan, it still looks like a decent deal for the Darby.