Big 1st valve tuning issues.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by FutureBC, Sep 5, 2009.

1. FutureBC

FutureBC Pianissimo User

Jul 25, 2009
    Northern Kentucky
    Hey guys,

I need serious help with getting notes in tune on my new Getzen (primarily 1st valve notes like D and F)

When I play these notes, they are literally off the chart flat, so flat it makes you cringe.

I tried to fix this by,
    1. trying anything I could to "lip up" the tone, didn't work.
    2. Abandoned my custom mouthpiece for my old 5C, worked for a while but as the horn warmed up due to playing, it went out of tune again.
    3. Tried a Schilke 14A4A (usually I used it for jazz), a 3C, even went all the way to a 7C but couldn't get in tune.

Do you guys have any tips for something like this? I want to play this horn so badly which is why I didn't give up yet (it sounds better than any trumpet I have ever played on a tuning C).

If a new mouthpiece is a possibility, can you give any suggestions?

Thanks guys...

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    This may be due to a valve out of alignment. Getting a valve alignement from an expert tech may resolve the issue.

3. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    If it's new, it may be a warranty issue. Check with the factory.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    bad intonation on one valve CAN be a sign of a design problem, it can also show up if one switches from a current model horn (with a finger hook) to a vintage model. Why? Older models had a longer first valve slide to compensate for the lack of the hook. The player has to lip up slightly when the first valve was used alone, but only down slightly when used in combination. More modern instruments have the first valve at the correct theoretical length and you need to use the hook even when depressing valves 1+2.

If the spit key is leaky, something like this can also happen. A flat D is not uncommon even on pro trumpets. A flat Bb or F is not. I have never played a Getzen with a flat Bb or F so, the technician is probably the best route.

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    As far as I know, the 3rd slide is also longer on some vintage trumpets and cornets. which means that notes played with 3 valve should be also flat. However, the poster wrote that the horn was new, so I guess that is bad design or alignment issue.

BC,

Check as CB suggested if you can just get a replacement horn. This would give you less troubles than finding out what the problem is and getting it fixed.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  6. FutureBC

FutureBC Pianissimo User

Jul 25, 2009
    Northern Kentucky
    So sorry guys, it is a used one.
    Its new to me, I wrote that on accident.

I'm gonna take it to the repair shop near my place to see what the issue is.
    Even though I hate this shop (How does my Strad end up with a patch of silver missing after a cleaning and they say "Not our problem"?)

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Future BC, is there another shop you can take it to. I would never go back to the one you mentioned. Sounds like they don't care. It could be a misaligned valve or debris somewhere in the horn or a leaky water key.

8. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    You could also try pushing in the tuning slide a little and seeing what happens.

I tried playing a Getzen and the pitch centers were in totally different places than on my regular horns (vintage Bueschers).

Might be different enough that you need a while to get used to it.

Tom

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Both my Getzens need the main tuning slide out about 19mm (3/4") and it comes back in a little as they warm. (Getzen valves also have a lifetime warranty - I'm not quite sure what that entails but hold it in the back of your thoughts).

10. Heelum

Heelum Pianissimo User

Jan 19, 2009
    Sydney Aus.
    I don't think you'll ever fix it.......I'll buy it cheap from you!!