Big Band Arrangements

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Mar 5, 2011.

1. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    I was wondering if there were big band arrangements for more up to date tunes. Not that theirs anything wrong with In The Mood or any of the old standards, but our band would like some up to date tunes as well. We are all seniors, and by no means are we looking for difficult charts. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Are you playing for personal enjoyment, or for the crowd.

Our swing/big band plays NO modern arrangements, all stocks or transcriptions and the only charts we use that are not 30s or 40s charts are some Basie charts for Sinatra and some Dean Martin and and Bobby Darin charts.

We are also the busiest big band in Michigan, playing MUCH more than any other professional band.

You have to decide who you are going to play for.

There are charts out there of more modern tunes, even country tunes like Achy Breaky Heart and Boot Scootin' Boogie, if that's what you want to play.

3. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Our band does alot of outdoor playing in the summer, and our audience covers a large age group.

4. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    Solar Bell - I think some of the original arrangements are really cool to play. I like it on some of the arrangements it will say "go to tins". songbook -do you have a Peppers music store near by? I am now playing with an older group and we don't have the chops anymore for the original charts, especially since they put me on lead.. We have several books that contain around 10 tunes each that have a ton of older tunes re-arranged to sound good yet are easier to play. They have old standards and more up to date charts in them.

5. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    I'll have to check those books out. They sound pretty interesting.

6. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    There's plenty - depending on what you call new. Look at the stuff Harry Connick Jr and Michel Buble have done (and continue to do). There's also a set of big band charts for Phil Collins stuff and some of it is quite nice. I really liked playing Against All Odds
    PHIL COLLINS BIG BAND

7. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
  8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I agree with the original arrangement theory but taking it to another level. There is very little in original big band rock arrangements. So back in the early 70's I did big band arrangements for Led Zeppelin's original "The Ocean" and the Dobbie Bros "Road Angel". Left them at my mother's house, and when she passed, so did the arrangements. I would have sent them to you otherwise. They were actually a real hit, but again, that was back in the 70's.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  9. DIS

DIS Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2005
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I'd suggest that you check out my big-band library listing. There are hundreads of arrangements for which I give the source--that is, the band and album where you can hear the recorded arrangement. Knowing the album title, you be able to sample hundreds of arrangements at Internet sites like Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and All Music Guide. In the process of looking for new arrangements, you'll probably also discover a fresh new world of albums with fresher sounding arrangements than those you've been using.

I'd be happy to send my library listing to you or anybody else who might be interested.

10. Mambo King

Mambo King Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2009
    London