Big Band CD's I'm listening to...

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by TangneyK, Dec 2, 2003.

1. TangneyK

TangneyK Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    The Vanguard Jazz Orchestra "Lickety Split"

Dave Holland Big Band "What Comes Around"

Bob Florence "Serendipity 18"

Most excellent.

--Kevin

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    You may remember that I posted the URL for the BBC Radio 2 website in which they change a half doze or so "Brass band" tunes. Well, that same site ALSO has big band and jazz "forums". Some really great music being played in Merry Olde. Most highly recommended.

Another site that has fantastic "streaming music" is http://www.ckua.com. This is the oldest "public" radio station in Canada and has an ENORMOUS library. It might not all be "straight ahead trumpet music" but you certainly can get your fill of just about anything you want from Classics to Comedy.

3. tiny tim

tiny tim New Friend

Dec 16, 2003
    Oxford & Lausanne, Switz
    Not a CD, but I heard Winston Rollins Big Band today at the 606, Chelsea, London. He brings together some of the big UK jazz artists for a wonderful selection of tunes, with the wall of sound trumpets including Guy Barker, Graeme Flowers, Mark Armstrong, and two cats I never heard who can puff it out.

If you are in the London area keep your eyes peeled when Winston assembles these guys. Full on.

Tiny

4. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Best of Harry James

Best of Doc Severinsen and the Tonight Show band

Best of the Glenn Miller Orchestra

And some Big Bad Voodoo Daddies

5. Big Phat Jan

Big Phat Jan New Friend

Nov 20, 2003
    London (South Ken.)
    Swingin' For The Fences, Gordon Goodwin and the Big Phat Band.

Superb.

6. jazz_trpt

jazz_trpt New Friend

Jan 28, 2004
    Champaign, Illinois, USA
    Carl Saunders - Be Bop Big Band.

7. trpthawaii

trpthawaii New Friend

Jan 28, 2004
    Here are a couple oldie CD's worth checking out

Lately I've been listening to Snooky Young, Thad Jones et. al. on the CD reissue of Basie's "Chairman of the Board". One of Basie's best and Snooky is amazing on the lead book.

Another favorite reissue of mine is "Sorta May/Sorta Dixie" by the Billie May Orchestra. Conrad Gozzo was the lead trumpet. This CD really shows why many consider him the greatest lead man of all time.

8. Kenzo

Kenzo Pianissimo User

Nov 18, 2003
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Vanguard- "Can I Persuade You"

9. bnbtrpt

bnbtrpt Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2003
    There is an album called Atomic Swing. Not to be confused with Atomic Basie both by the count basie band. The album atomic swing is out of this world. Some of the most swingin playing I have ever heard.

jd

10. TangneyK

TangneyK Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    John Fedchock-- "New York Big Band"

I always come back to this. It's becoming one of my "desert islanders'". Great writing. Amazing solos. Band sounds incredible with Tony Kadleck doing all the lead trumpet stuff.

--Kevin