Big Band gigs in London

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by lonelyangel, Sep 21, 2005.

1. lonelyangel

lonelyangel Pianissimo User

Nov 8, 2003
    London
    Hi everybody. Just thought I'd mention a great gig this saturday, 12 noon, at the Floral Hall in the Royal Opera House London.

It is a memorial concert and charity event to celebrate the life of Norman Taylor who was the tympanist with the ROH Orchestra for many years and who sadly passed away recently.

Apparently his favourite band was the Jack Sharpe Big Band and I have been asked to play in the trumpet section for this one off event where the music of the Jack Sharpe band will be recreated.

If I wasn't playing myself then I would certainly be going along to listen. The trumpet section will be Derek Watkins, John Barclay, Simon Gardner, Guy Barker and yours truly. Also, for those of you who can't be there in person, it is likely that a DVD will be recorded to capture the event which is really exciting news. I'll keep you posted as and when they become available - and what the charity is in aid of.

www.jazzprofessional.com/Main/NormansBigBandBash.htm

I'm also very fortunate to be playing at Ronnie Scotts club all next week with the Georgie Fame Big Band. By coincidence it is with the same trumpet section (minus Simon gardner). Georgie is a fantastic jazz singer and the band is amazing - a real swing machine. The arrangements are by some of the very best British writers of the last 40 years including Alan Downey, who composed Maynard's 'Give It One'.

Then on Sunday night - after the week with Georgie - I'll be at Ronnies again with the Cliff Hardie Big Band. Cliff has had a great band for decades, although it is convened only rarely these days. He has a huge library of original charts which he has commissioned over the years, many featuring his beautiful, sweet, high lyric trombone style. He is a very generous leader however who loves to pack the band out with great soloists and gives everyone a chance to shine. I am really looking forward to this gig as there is always something special in the pad which Ihaven't heard before. Also Cliff is somewhat of a mentor to me. He introduced me to the Caruso method 20 odd years ago - having studied with Carmine himself - and I haven't stopped thanking him since.
    Last time I spoke with Cliff he was delighted to have been given a DVD of his own big band recorded in the 1970s which he didn't know was available! What really tickled him was the cover notes which began, "Cliff Hardie used to be one of the busiest session trombonisists in London..."

Next week most be some kind of record for British big bands because in addition to the three gigs I have mentioned above there are three bands going over to Thailand next week to play at a festival in Kosamui (spelling?) including the Laurence Cottle band and the Jules Holland Rhythm and Blues Orchestra.

Finally I'd just like to say what a pleasure it was to meet Lara and help her at the Eclipse factory. Hi Lara hope its all going well and thanks for not posting the pictures of me in the pink wig (oops!)

All the best. Noel.

2. music matters

music matters Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2004
    ON Canada
    Hi Noel,

Sounds wonderful - wish I was in the UK to go! Sounds like you are going to be very busy doing some amazing gigs - how does it all fit in with "The Producers" as well?

I am aslo extremely grateful for the trumpet lesson and help in choosing my Eclipse trumpet. That was a fantastic day at Leigh's and it was brilliant to go to see "The Producers" as well. I really love my new trumpet and it is exactly what I wanted.

Thank you again and it would be great to meet up again whwn I am next in London!

Graham.

3. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Pianissimo User

I'll be there!! :-P

Will report back tomorrow!! :)

4. lonelyangel

Nov 8, 2003
    London
    Hi David - be sure to come and say hello. I think we will be done by 1:15 which means there will just be enough time for some quick refreshments before most of us go on to our matinee performances.

Graham, I'm glad you are enjoying the new horn. As far as fitting the late night week at Ronnies with the Producers I will still play 4 of the 8 shows that week. Our show comes down at around 10:20 pm leaving 20 minutes to walk over to Frith Street for the first set with Georgie at around 10:45.
    We finish playing the second set at 2:15 am - home by 3ish - hope to be asleep by 4:00am. This means i won't be playing the Matinee shows next week!! Its a bit like having jet lag for the whole week and a few days afterwards - but its certainly worth it for the musical experience.

By the way, I also just found out that Chris Botti is playing in London next Monday at HMV in Piccadilly at 1:00pm - to promote his new album which was recorded in London a couple of months ago - should be worth a visit if anybody is in town that day.

All the best. Noel.

5. music matters

music matters Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2004
    ON Canada
    Wow! - sounds very busy but I hope you have a great week - will you be using your MY for all of it or will the MHR come out to play?!

Enjoy!

Graham.

6. davidquinlan

Just back from the gig (via the Coach & Horses for a pint...)

two words..

Simply Awesome!!!

It was the "who's who" of musicians in London.

Hope I'm as fit as Eric Delaney when (if) I get to his age!

7. lonelyangel

Nov 8, 2003
    London
    Thanks David, nice to see you there. What a lovely occasion - proceeds by the way will go to the musicians benevolent fund - a charity supporting musicians in need in the UK. I'll keep you all posted as and when the DVD becomes available. The highlight for me (apart from the Kenton version of The Ride of The Valkyries) was Derek Watkins playing a beautiful arrangement of Skylark - he was introduced as simply the greatest trumpet player in the world and on that evidence it's pretty hard to argue against that viewpoint.

First night at Ronnies tonight. Any UK TM folk let me know if you are coming down and I'll take you to the bar Italia for the best capuicino in town between sets!

Graham, I will be using the MY all week - unless I can somehow persuade Leigh to let me take the new MY Solar Eclipse for a work out (thats the rimless bell model - which is a beauty).......???

All the best. Noel.

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
  9. eclipse trumpets

eclipse trumpets Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    England
    HAHAHAHAHA

Hi Eddie Boy

Yes you did!! and i did'nt forget it either.

So you see that Lethbridge, Canada has an influence in the Eclipse workshops :D

Best Wishes

Leigh

10. davidquinlan

Cheers Noel,

Did you do the evening run of Producers also on Saturday? If so, my mate says.. "awesome, simply awesome!!" as he was in the audience (birthday treat for the missus!!)

Leigh, I hear a rumor that there are 2 Eclipse cornets to test? My schedule is starting to look a bit like I'll have some time to come to the workshop and play!! (practice more like!!)
    However, got an Open University exam to do and that small matter of playing in the Albert Hall for the National Brass Band Championships of GB first!! :bleah:

Just doing my TAX RETURN at the moment!! :shock:

also, if anyone could point me in the direction of the Stan Kenton CD with his arrangement of "The Ride of the Valkyries, Wagner" as played by this band on Saturday I would be most grateful. Can't seem to find it on 'tinternet!

TA..