Big Band Trumpet Section Clarification

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by abbedd, Oct 4, 2005.

1. abbedd

abbedd Pianissimo User

Sep 21, 2005
    please help this French Horn Player out.

I have seen pictures of my favorite section. Sitting Left to right (stage right to left) was

Thad Jones
    Snooky Young
    Wendell Cully
    Joe Newman

I assume that the outside guys play jazz and the inside guys play lead. But I have some questions

Assuming Snooky is the main lead

1) Is Thad in the Trumpet 2 chair or trumpet 3 chair
    2) Is Wendell in the Trumpet 3 or 2 chair
    3) Is Joe in the trumpet 4 chair

4) Assuming a G7 chord from top to bottom G, F, D, B

It is clear that Snooky plays the G and Joe plays the B. Who plays the other notes. I.E. Does the second lead player play higher than the jazz chair player

Abbedd

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    If I had to guess, based on how I have always been setup in a big band, it would be:

2nd/Solo - Thad Jones
    1st/Lead - Snooky Young
    3rd - Wendell Cully
    4th -Joe Newman

Undoubtedly Snooky was the lead and it seems likely that Thad Jones would have been the solo book player.

3. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    I'd agree with trickg in this instance, although ya gotta be careful, sometimes in the bigbands, every chair can play every part and if the lead player is just off tonite, pass it down the line, lol.

4. abbedd

abbedd Pianissimo User

Sep 21, 2005
    So you are saying that the jazz player plays a higher part then the second lead player

Abbedd

5. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    lol, no sir.

I was making the general comment that sometimes instead of being allocated "Lead, solo, section" chairs, a lot of big bands just pass the parts around as all the players can solo or play lead or be a section player. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

6. abbedd

abbedd Pianissimo User

Sep 21, 2005
    Now I am confused

Look how Quincy did it

http://home.earthlink.net/~abbedd/quincy.JPG

Porky (Al Porcino) replaced Snooky
    Sonny Cohn Replaced Cully
    Wally ? replaced Thad
    Al Aarons replced Newman

he has it written the two inside guys high and the two outside guys low

Abbedd

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    There are different theories regarding how to set up a big band.

Many times big bands are set up with the lead players more or less in the middle of the section, and the lowest part players are sitting the furthest from the rhythm section.

I remember once playing with a big band that chose to put the barry sax and the bass trombone player right next to the rhythm section rather than furthest away from it, and it had a rather large impact on the tightness of the band.

Maybe the same idea was being utilized with this last section that you posted - they put the lead player next to the rhythm section - that's who they need to lock into.