Big can of worms.....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ccNochops, Aug 30, 2007.

1. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    ....but here we go. Three trumpets, Yamaha 2330, Holton Colligiate, Getzen 700S......1st two, the tuning slide is maybe 3/8 - half an inch out, the Getzen plays way sharp, the tuning slide is at least twice that if not more. Played three different mouthpieces on all three horns, Bach 3C, Yamaha 7C, and my cheater (got to look up the number), first two horns are fine with all three mouthpieces, but the Getzen is always sharp. I'm using an electronic tuner and a middle C as reference, high C on the Getzen is even sharper, but the middle C is just as bad. Been back 12 months now, steady practice, 7-12 hours a week (usually an hour a day, miss a day, extra on weekends).
    I know there are a zillions variables involved here, but could it be the Getzen? During the course of a gig or practice, I actually have to check the tuning slide to make sure it hasn't pushed out (does that alot and it will let a small drop of moisture past the slide itself). Valve alignment? Restriction in the horn? Leaky horn? Operator error?........chuck:dontknow:

2. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    You should not expect all three mouthpieces to have the same tuning position on the slide. You must tune the horn every time you change mouthpieces. Each horn will be different.

3. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    Understand that, the 3 mouthpieces did creat small changes on both the Holton & Yamaha, but the Getzen is always WAY sharp compared to the other two. Mouthpiece to horn mis-match?....chuck

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is hardly possible that a mass produced horn be that far out of line. Valve alignment and gap will not allow that much change. I do not believe that standard mouthpieces could cause 3/8ths difference.
    What happens when a different player (let's say much more experienced) is involved? Not any criticism of your playing, but some horns are more sensitive to body use and tension than others. The reason that I ask is the fact that you say the high C is even sharper - that is almost ALWAYS a sign of body tension.
    One long shot is if the spit key does not seal properly. A very small leak could cause havoc.
    Once you have figured it out let us know! I for sure would be very interested

5. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    rowuk...I got got a music major trumpet player coming home this weekend from college, I'll hand him the horn and find out. Not too worry about criticizing me, I'm the 1st to admit I need work and am always ready to try a suggestion to improve.....thanx, I'll keep y'all posted on this....bests, chuck

6. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    Guess I'll be sending an email to Getzen and maybe return the horn to the factory. The music major horn player had the same problem, horn plays sharp. I put a rubber ball in the bell and the horn holds pressure, the slop chute isn't leaking. I could blow the tuning slide out though....all those breathing exercise tips I got from rowuk :) I'll be back on the Holton for awhile til I get this straightened out.........chuck

7. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I think the Getzen has a bigger bore (based on your problem)and to compensate you are choking off a little. When we close the throat the air moves faster and the pitch goes up.

Try to relax and play a G on the staff and move the bottom jaw a little and watch the tuner. Play on the Getzen for a while and get used to it and check it again.