Big lips

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trmpt_plyr, Oct 8, 2009.

1. trmpt_plyr

trmpt_plyr Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    Would having big lips affect trumpet playing in any way? It feels that my upper lips is preventing me from playing much of the upper register. I do practice every day, and am also wondering if it's okay to play with the majority of the mouthpiece on the bottom lip. Would that decrease the vibrations?

hichez likes this.
  2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The size of the lips is no factor. Never was, never will be. You need a local teacher to look at your face. Advice without seeing and hearing you play is not qualified by any stretch of the imagination. The red of the lips generally belongs in the cup. There are exceptions, but not too many functional ones.

3. Brasil66

Brasil66 Pianissimo User

Sep 11, 2008
    Southeast
    Rowuk, I disagree. In fact, you seem to contradict yourself in your previous post. There are indeed some tremendous obstacles in performing on trumpet with a large lip-structure. It would be irresposible to claim that they could all be solved or that one should ignore the situation. If someone would actually describe how to approach this challenge, I would surely be the first to listen. :-)

4. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Cat Anderson, Jon Faddis, Wynton..........me :-)
    Don't worry about it.
    Wilmer

5. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You can disagree with me in this case, but you will generally be wrong. Thick lips play no factor. The irresponsibility is trying to find excuses why things don't work instead of solving the problem. With Youtube, you can check out any number of players with thick lips (Wilmer provided a short list to get started). Believe me, those players are not "freaks of nature". You can go to any American music college and see how many successful thick lipped players are enrolled.

Reasons why things don't work: too little practice of the right things, too little talent. The first reason can compensate for the second to a certain degree.

I myself have somewhat thicker lips and roll them in slightly.

If you don't have a decent teacher, you have a problem. Much of what is offered for free on the internet is not even worth that. Success is build on talent, hard work and an inherent understanding of how we get better. That means that we are sensitive to what is good and not good for us, as well as being willing to spend most of our time developing things that we cannot do, instead of trying to feel good by playing what we have already learned.

All people are not equal and any trumpet teacher that isists differently is lying. The biggest difference is opportunity, the second is dedication/preserverance, then comes personality then talent.

I have an 11 year old student with thick lips and an E over high C. She has been playing for 2 years and does the same daily routine of long tones, slurs and clarke like all of my other students. No magic recipe required except proper guidance and dedication. She has talent.

6. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    Well rowuk your right but the proportions to upper and bottom lip has to be different. Or else when playing at some of the highest level of trumpet playing everyone would sound exactly the same.

7. trmpt_plyr

trmpt_plyr Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    Even if having big lips isn't a problem, is it a problem to have flesh behind the upper lip that could disturb the sound, cause the mouthpiece to come down, and give one trouble playing the upper register?

8. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

Big lips, small lips...lip flesh, no flesh...straight teeth, crooked teeth, etc., etc. These are things you have no control over and in my opinion are pointless for you to worry about. Pondering the "what if's" and looking for advice about them on the internet is a waste of time.

If you are REALLY concerned about these things then get a teacher. The only thing you'll get on the internet is noise that will confuse you even further.

9. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
  10. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    No. It is not a problem. The problem is not practicing enough, not having any talent, not having enough dedication AND trying to come up with excuses why things don't work.

Wynton with his big lips has double C and more, Jon and Cat probably an octave more. I am not sure about Wilmers upper register, but he has been able to play the ink all of his life so obviously there is no issue there either.

Not true. Our sound is not only the frequencies that our lips produce. The style of our playing, the emotion, the equipment all factor in to our uniqueness. We can, as has been proven in many Symphony Orchestras, influence all of the above and get a good section sound even with various lip thickness, mouthpiece size and trumpet types.

The problem is ONLY in the ears and brain, not with the geometry.