Big lips

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trmpt_plyr, Oct 8, 2009.

1. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    Your saying that you have to be able to conrtol the frequencies at which your lips vibrate? I would have to do a bit of research before accepting that. And I will I think its an interesting topic.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hichez, our lips open and close like a valve when we play trumpet. That aperiodic motion is what makes for strong odd harmonics and the trumpets characteristic tone.

One big mistake is made when we talk about vibrating lips. They do not vibrate in their entirety like a guitar string. Really only the immediate surface of the lip (would you doctors call that epidermis where the lips are concerned?) in the mouthpiece vibrates and that is why the mass of the entire lip is meaningless.

You have to have chops stronger than the standing wave in the trumpet - otherwise you can't play different tones. To play high and low, we have to change the tension of the lips complimentary to the pressure that our breathing has created. With higher air pressure, we need less absolute tension. That is why our endurance goes up when we breathe properly.

3. Sam24

Sam24 New Friend

Feb 11, 2009
    I have really big lips and sometimes I feel like I can barely fit them in my 5c mouthpiece. Then again I wonder if it really matters because I don't need to fit everything into the mouthpiece. Comments on moving up to a 7c? I've never really tried one so I can't say if its more comfortable or anything.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Sam,
    if you have read the above, looked at any of the bigged lipped masters of trumpet, you see very few monster mouthpieces and no issues with range, sound or anything else. If there were a real issue, you would have people using trombone mouthpieces on the trumpet. It just ain't happening.

A 7C is different than a 5C and whether it fits you or not, only you can say.

Anybody with the itch to respond, read the ENTIRE thread and turn brain on before posting. Most everything right and wrong has been written and commented.

5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

Good company to be in. Makes me wish I didn't have such thin lips.

Cat starts to solo about 1:30 into this clip. There are some nice shots of his chops starting at around the 2:00 mark:

YouTube - Cat Anderson - The Opener