Big mistake

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by metalmail13, Aug 15, 2010.

1. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Feree Tool Co. makes a slide hammer with a hook that fits the inside curve of valve slide tubes. This tool is what most techs use for this job. For the main tuning slide a grooved wooden block that is shaped for the individual tuning slide is then hammered with the very light blows from a very light hammer. There are many solvents that will help to release the corrosion that has formed between the inner and outer legs of the slides. Again, Feree Tool Co. makes these solvents available. Most penetrating oils work well with feric oxide,( rust ), but are useless in penetrating cupric oxides, like those formed in uncared for slides. The old saying that "an ounce of prevention is better than a full pound of cure" is the motto here. GREASE those slides and you won't have to fight to free them up.

OLDLOU>>

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Brekelefuw:

In one of your posts you mention repairing the bottom port of a piston because someone punctured it trying to drive a stuck piston out.

I have a horn with a puncture in the bottom side of the bottom port of a piston. I have no idea how it was done as I acquired it that way. How do you fix such a puncture, by soldering? It's a 65 year old Olds, and otherwise is in good shape. I am not going to do it myself, and will probably just take it to Zig Kanstul when I am in CA in March, but I am curious.

3. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    The School of Hard Knocks has the most expensive diploma to purchase, but if you learn from your failures and don't repeat it, It prevents insanity. Dr. Einstein said something like, "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is the definition of insanity."
    I take all my horns to a trumpet tech because of the risk of unecessary costly damage. Also, they need to be appreciated for their skills. Once you build a relationship with one, they will be generous with their time and fees.

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    If someone poked a hole in the bottom port of a piston, and there was enough material left to re-cover the hole I would take a small dent rod and ball and work the metal around the hole to close up the hole as best as I could. Then I would fill the crack with low temp silver solder. It is a good fix if you can't get a new piston, or the customer doesn't want to buy one.