big mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by joaorocha, Oct 3, 2011.

1. joaorocha

joaorocha New Friend

Mar 29, 2010
    im a student and i play with a shilke 15 and sometimes i feel that this mouthpiece is a too big for me.. i like the big sound of this shilke 15 but in the upper register is very difficult.. i try a yamaha 11b4 and is easy to play upper register but i dont like the sound.. so my question is ..

should i try shilke 14 ou 13? or
    should i stay with this shilke 15 and continue practicing until can get better upper register with it?
    I think playing with a small mouthpiece dont develope the embouchure.. But play with a too big mouthpiece is a problem too?

2. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    A few questions. How old are you? How long have you been playing? How advanced are you? Answer things and you will get a torrential flood of responses here.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    NOT ANOTHER MOUTHPIECE QUESTION!!!

Unless you cannot get a sound out of it, stay with the one you have, practice, practice and practice. You will learn to LOVE it for now. When you get to be an old fart like me, then you can begin your quest for the ultimate (utimate as spelled on TM) range.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Also, what do you consider "upper register" and in what context are you playing it in, joaorocha?

5. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Getting a little cranky, old man?

6. joaorocha

joaorocha New Friend

Mar 29, 2010
    i play 2nd in a big band and i study classical , i consider upper register like high C and up.

my only question is that.. i feel that the moutpiece is a litle big for me.. playing with it will get me any problem? or for now is big but with practice it fit well for me?

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
  8. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    My two cents would be to stick with the mouthpiece you're playing and keep practicing. If you've already got a good sound, why change? Upper register control will come in due time.

Kujo

9. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    VB
    Thanks for posting this. A very interesting read. I too was on the "bigger is better" thing for many years. I recently played a show where the guitarists turned up a little more every night - this was an affront to my ego as we all know that the lead trumpet must be on top of the ensemble. They had limitless ability to play louder and I didn't.

The result was nasty. Rather than getting stronger during the run of the show, I think I only just barely made it to the end. I was one hurtin' unit. Took about two solid weeks off and then rethought my approach - I adopted the Severinsen "play the smallest equipment you can get away with" philosophy. And I began to study again (with a well-known teacher in NYC).

Since then, my tone, intonation, range and endurance have grown exponentially (pretty good for a guy 50+ years old). Gone are the days that I believe that bigger is necessarily better.

TS

10. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    The 15 is a good mouthpiece but if you want a little more help in the upper range, I'd suggest that you try a 15B. I use my15 with my quartet and the 15B for shows.