Big Print "Arban's" -- Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Richard Oliver, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    I fear "no" after some googling.

Sniker, snigger, chortle, simper, but I may be off to Office Max.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    If you have trouble seeing the music in Arban's, I feel for you. As printed music goes, it's a fairly normal size. What do you do when playing music printed smaller?:-o

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I once made an exercise sheet for my students, and to get everything on one page I used cue sized staves. They played everything very softly.

4. Richard Oliver

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dale, I've not run into anything smaller over the past year. Marches will be my undoing.

I dislike leaning into the stand whilst working on some of the chromatic exercies that have a twist to them. The cadenzas in the Art of Phrasing are tiny. Much of Arban's is a fine size for my eyes; some of it, however, is made for young bulls with good eyes.

Actually, it's my fault. I should have it memorized. :-o

Vulgano, you my friend, are an evil wit!!:D

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown

SORRY! :twisted:

6. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Did you try contacting Carl Fischer?

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    You're right - I forgot about the cadenzas. A short cornet is handy for marches - it's easier to get closer to the music! Actually, I usually blow marches up to a full 8.5X11 size. I just played a gig a couple of nights ago reading march-size music on stage with NO backlighting - only spots on the front, which makes it even worse. If I didn't have that stuff semi-memorized, it would have been bad.:-o

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Richard,
    you don't have the complete Arbans memorized yet?
    If you own an Arbans and blow up copies for your own personal use AND do not distribute the copies, you will have no problems. Just throw away one single copy and let somebody pull it out of your trash can - then you will be in REAL TROUBLE!

9. Tom Mac

Tom Mac Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2007
    Nashville Tennessee
    It's amazing how useful the "right" pair of glasses can be. Having reached the age (several years ago) where my arms seem to have grown shorter, I was compelled to switch to bi and then tri focals. Of course, this plays havoc with music reading because the notes get caught in the "lines." This is true even if you have "progressive" tri-focals. I asked my optomitrist and he prepared a prescription lense that had enough depth of field to be focused from 3 to 5 feet away. This is perfect for reading music and, amazingly enough, now that I can see the notes I can play more of them. This true even where the font is small.

T. Mac

10. Richard Oliver

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Tom, thanks for the tip on the glasses. No doubt, I'll follow through on that someday.

Robin, the edition I'd be copying is the 1876(?) that can be found linked here: http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f145/arban-characteristic-studies-32831.html

My edition has loads more exercies. So I may say phoeey copying the post Cival War edition. But given I'm an irrational lover of the old, antiquated, and sometimes dilapidated, I may cave.

Richard