Big question!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by brendag123, Nov 19, 2009.

1. brendag123

brendag123 New Friend

Nov 10, 2009
    brownsville, texas
    this saturday (november 21, 2009) is the region auditions for my region, and well i will be auditioning, but recently, well all this week, my slurs and what not to one of the songs havn't been coming out properly. i have been having a really hard time with that. and while i play, within 20-30 minutes, my face feels all tense and tight. i try stretching out by saying the vowels, saying "how now brown cow" and "unique new york" but that still doesnt work...
    this is wierd, this has never happened to me before...
    what could be causing it?
    and what should i do? my auditions are the day after tomorrow!!!!

2. TrumpetLucian

TrumpetLucian Pianissimo User

May 7, 2009
    Indiana
    Firstly, roll your shoulders and RELAX. You'll realize one day that not everything goes perfectly every time. Chris Tedesco (to paraphrase an ITG interview) says he can't care what his chops feel like, you just gotta have that sound and play well. So take his advice, just let your body do what it does, and focus on being musical.

Also, when my chops are tight etc, during a hot shower I buzz them in the hot water stream, and massage my jaw muscles. This tip was from a Wayne Bergeron clinic, and I really love doing this. I've had early morning lead playing situations (11am is NEVER good for Aflats below double C's) and I do this in my morning shower. Try it out, you'll love it.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Brenda,
    it is double dangerous to change ANYTHING a week before auditions. The only thing that you should think about is playing less than 20 minutes at a time, taking a break and then playing 20 minutes again (and again, and again). That way you never get tense! If 20 minutes is too long, play multiple 15 minutes.

Do not change ANYTHING a week before auditions!

4. brendag123

brendag123 New Friend

Nov 10, 2009
    brownsville, texas
    TrumpetLucian
    thank you, i will try that out tonight...
    i guess thats one reason why, theres just so much going on my
    mind right now its just crazy!!

5. brendag123

brendag123 New Friend

Nov 10, 2009
    brownsville, texas
    rowuk, thank you,
    i know i shouldnt change anything before an audition,
    but i guess im just nervous about it, and well theres a lot of pressure
    on me from a lot of ppl... its just overwhelming.. and i guess i just want to play everything perfect that im practicing a lot even after i feel all tense and tight im still playing to try and get it perfect...

6. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Practice those slurs very soft, what usually makes slurring uneven , or sloppy, is too much mouthpiece pressure, which sneaks up on you when your lips start to tire. When you practice you should always rest as long as you play, it's good for lips and concentration.

7. brendag123

brendag123 New Friend

Nov 10, 2009
    brownsville, texas
    al inella
    mouthpiece pressure where? top lip or bottom lip?
    cuz i only have about 1/4 or less than 1/4 on my top lip... in other words its on the red...

8. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    You should try to use less pressure on both lips, the bottom lip can usually handle a little more pressure than the top lip, by not using pressure you are allowing your air to do it's job, not your left arm. This also helps endurance.

9. brendag123

brendag123 New Friend

Nov 10, 2009
    brownsville, texas
    yesterday around 6:20 p.m. (after band practice) i played the lyrical piece,
    and i played it amazingly good!!!
    thank you all for your help!!! :D

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Remember, Brenda, that this is your musical endeavor. Saying others are putting pressure on you is really ducking the truth. The pressure comes from YOU, and while you may be very eager to not disappoint others, it is you who must be the cool one.

Don't forget why you play the trumpet. God gave you the gift of music. Be grateful for it. It is fun, a source of true pleasure, an opportunity for you to let what is inside of you come out. It is between you and that horn. Let your love for it fill you and flow out the bell.

veery