Big question!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by brendag123, Nov 19, 2009.

1. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    Good point Veery! During my lesson last night, I was so anxious to show the progress I made during the last week, I got nervous - and played worse. Now, why should I get nervous for my teacher? He knows how well I do this and how poorly I do that - better than I, nothing to be nervous about, but here I put that on myself and "BAM." In my case, no harm done, but if I were auditioning . . .

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Despite my own advice, in my lessons it is more difficult to relax than anywhere else. I know that to get the most from my teacher I need to be able to play like anywhere else, but, ironically, it is my most challenging venue.

v

3. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    V,

Depends on the teacher. I studied some with Lew Soloff in NY and there was 0 feeling of pressure. Same when I played a bit for Roger Ingram. No judging, just a good ear and a good guy. Then a good friend, a local pro here in LA offered me a couple of lessons, and it was torture: he'd stare at my chops, react to every change in sound, really tough to focus, and I occasionally have to play next to him! A bit different in that context, but the lessons are hereby cancelled!

ed

4. bigdanv

bigdanv Pianissimo User

Jan 13, 2009
    Connecticut
    I like the anchorman reference!:D

Regarding your playing, it seems like you're headed in the right direction. Don't put too much undo stress on your chops and RELAX. What is the absolute worst thing that can happen? Putting things in perspective always helps my keep my cool in an audition situation.

5. brendag123

brendag123 New Friend

Nov 10, 2009
    brownsville, texas
    yea well some wierd things happened with my chops, it was freezing cold for us down here (we thought it was cold) and i missed it by 1 chair.
    so i was the alternate...
    but something happenedd to some other trumpet that i got moved up,
    and i got in by luck...
    the concert was this past friday and it was fun, but it wouldve been nice
    to not be last chair!

i got a talk from my middle school director and he told me to not worry, that i still have next year.

it was disappointing in a way because i have beaten a lot of the player before wether it was middle school or freshman year. (10th grade i didnt audition) but yea i still have next year, and i WILL make my comeback
    (hopefully my chops dont act weird!!)