Big School=Big Time?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Principaltrumpet, Jun 10, 2007.

1. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    A person with great talent would probably be able to develop into a great player wherever they go to school. However-- I went to a small school. I was top dog there. Played in all the ensembles, etc. Thought I was hot cheese. Gonna be a pro. Then I went to North Texas for my masters. I very quickly found out where I fit in the world of trumpet playing. I learned WAY more there about the proper way to fit into various ensembles. The caliber of ensemble there was tremendously higher than where I came from. Everybody worked harder at their horn there than at my first school. Also, when you got out, if you were "in" good with Haynie, Candelaria, or Jake, you could get a big boost into the real world with their stamp of approval.

2. Siegtrmpt

Siegtrmpt Mezzo Piano User

Nov 21, 2005
    Virginia
    Mike makes a good point. It's important to go to the pressure cooker of a bigger school when you're ready. A couple years in a less demanding situation could be good preparation to meet the demands rather than get discouraged by them. It's an individual thing.

3. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    I like what Mike said. I have enjoyed the experiences of being a "top dog" as well and think it has some some great things for my playing and confidence level. Summer festivals have been great for me. Festivals like Aspen, Tanglewood, etc are great ways to kind of measure up your own playing to some of the "big school" guys. It is sometimes depressing, and other times relieving. lol.

4. amuk

amuk New Friend

May 22, 2007
    I'm kind of curious what are the big schools these days?
    When I was college age it was Eastman, New England Conservatory, Julliard, and Curtis Institute-at least on the East Coast.
    You wanted to study with Voisin, Vacchiano. Johnson, or maybe Ghittala, Rosenburg.

5. Siegtrmpt

Siegtrmpt Mezzo Piano User

Nov 21, 2005
    Virginia
    Indiana, Northwestern, N Texas State come to mind.

6. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    also cincinnati

7. amuk

amuk New Friend

May 22, 2007
    Wow, times change.