Big Sound/Prokofiev

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by Tarter_trpt8, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Tarter_trpt8

Tarter_trpt8 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    Mr. Laureano,

Thanks for the advice on the excerpts. It makes perfect sense; just nice to hear it from you. I'll get working right away...

One of my biggest pet peaves is hearing a teacher say, "Remember, big sound all the time!" What the heck am I supposed to do with that? I understand the concept behind it but I end up asking the question: Well then, how do you make a big sound or get a big sound? Correct me if I'm wrong but sound comes from the inner ear. It comes from the heart and how you express it. How you get it in your ear depends on who you listen to. That's how I've understood it but putting it into practice is the hard part. I know what I want to sound like, I know how I want to sound but is it just a matter of time and patience? Can you practice things to get a huge sound? Your help would be appreciated I'm sure for everyone in the forum...

I'm coming the Prokofiev concert on Friday night I know nothing about the piece. I was curious as to whether you could tell me and us a little about the 5th so I'd have an idea about the piece before I come. I like bringing a score so I can follow along. It helps me get deep into the piece because I understand what the trumpets are doing. Thanks...

Jeremy

WHEN YOU MAKE A MISTAKE, BE PROUD OF IT. PUT YOUR HORN DOWN AND STARE AT THE CONDUCTOR. UNLESS HIS EAR IS GREAT, HE WON'T KNOW. IF HE DOES, FINE! (Bud Herseth)

DON'T THINK YOU HAVE PROBLEMS TO WORRY ABOUT IN YOUR PLAYING, JUST CERTAIN ASPECTS OF YOUR PLAYING AREN'T PERFECTED YET. DON'T WORRY ABOUT ANYTHING IN YOUR PLAYING, JUST ENJOY IT!

for more of these go to: http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/herseth/herseth_notes.html

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    "Well then, how do you make a big sound or get a big sound? I know how I want to sound but is it just a matter of time and patience? Can you practice things to get a huge sound? I'm coming the Prokofiev concert on Friday night I know nothing about the piece. I was curious as to whether you could tell me and us a little about the 5th so I'd have an idea about the piece before I come."

Dear TT,

What a great question. I had to think about it a bit and I came up with a few thoughts...

What is a big sound not?

It is not narrow, it is not thin, it does not contain a preponderance of highs. Therefore, we have to create a sound that is wide, rich, and laden with lower frequencies in order to carry.

We do all that by playing equipment that requires us to play lower on the pitch without being out of center and flat. Our sound needs to be less directional and more full instead. As we ascend, we have to have the sound maintain low partials that radiate out to the audience, not get caught in the throat.

You know the equipment I play so we don't need to get into that. Along with that is the way I use my body to ensure that I am not tense when I play. Everything is loose except for the stabilizing forces that keep the embouchure strong. Even when I'm playing a loud passage, the airstream is warm without wasting any wind. I do that by always using the same vowel no matter the register.

What? Impossible!

No, possible. All right, fine, there are subtle changes that occur as one ascends but my grand point is that you minimize that occurrance by mentally focusing on OH or OO or AH. It's the way I've always played. To consciously activate the narrower syllables in a symphonic context is to exaggerate a natural activity. It's just not neccessary.

If I were playing lead trumpet in the altissimo register like a scream player, I'd probably have to adopt a method of playing that included the narrower vowels but the symphonic register is about something very different.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 5th symphony of Prokofiev is a masterwork of the last century. It's massive, powerful, lyrical, funny, and a standard. It's the kind of trumpet writing we love to play and the orchestration is truly astonishing in its effectiveness. I'm glad you're coming. See if you can pick up the old Philharmonic record with Bernstein or the Boston Symphony with Koussevitsky. That's the orchestra and conductor for whom it was written. Compare two great old trumpeters, Vacchiano and Voisin.

See you at the hall.

ML