Big trumpet problem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpeterpl, Jan 3, 2016.

1. trumpeterpl

trumpeterpl New Friend

Dec 28, 2015
    Hello Everyone !
    I will say at the beginning that my English is not good.
    I'm not from here, but I need some help :)

I play the trumpet for 10 years. I finished school and now I'm in music college. About a year came to me unusual problem. Generally always I played loose and everything was okay. Now I have a strange hesitation condition. Some days I play great, some very bad. When it is bad,
    my lips are weird, rigid, and I have the impression that they do not want to vibrate. Always I did not need warming up, my lips have always been sensitive to air flow. Situation is repeated every few days. Some days great (range, sound good), some very very bad :(
    I exercise regularly ever since. I tried many exercises and nothing helped.
    Several week break also no effect. I spoke with many people and no one could help me. Some people said: "Too much exercise, too little exercise", but this is not true. My embouchure is good, because if it was bad all the time I had this problem.
    I think I have explained what is the problem,
    I count on help from you,
    greetings

2. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Could it be anxiety? That screws up a lot of stuff

3. trumpeterpl

trumpeterpl New Friend

Dec 28, 2015
    I don't know.
    Today I play terribly, and tomorrow may be great.
    I did not find this any rule repeatability :-(

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Trumpeterpl,

I think that I know what you are talking about. It could be one of a couple things.

1) Diet. What you eat has great impact on how you play. Foods with heavy salt for instance change the hydration of the body. If I eat a bag of potato chips in the evening, I have to drink a lot of water or my lips seem to be "tough" and not want to vibrate. I have a similar problem with black tea. It makes my lips tough. If you have diabetes (especially if you don't know it), how you eat can change a lot of things in your body. Coffee can make us nervous and that can mean dry mouth or worse.
    2) Anxiety - this affects everything, we get tense, shake, mouth gets dry, pulse shoots way up, breathing gets shallow
    3) Sleep - sleep is our friend. If we have trouble sleeping or party too much, our body becomes inconsistent because our brain does not have the same control
    4) Irregular playing schedule - sometimes we have a VERY heavy playing day. The next day everything can be incredibly stiff. One day of rest and we are back to normal.
    5) Tension - If we are driving alot, our body takes a beating, if we do not sit properly, our body fights back, If we do not stand straight up, certain muscle groups will be strained and can prevent our breathing from being full and relaxed.

Look at my list and see if anything fits, then post some details.

5. trumpeterpl

trumpeterpl New Friend

Dec 28, 2015
    oh, for some time I like to eat spicy and salty, but whether it would have until the impact?

6. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Where in the world are you? perhaps we can find a language that's more comfortable for you to use (no, I don't speak Polish)...

7. trumpeterpl

trumpeterpl New Friend

Dec 28, 2015
    English is not bad to me.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Food with a lot of salt affects me for the following 12 to 24 hours.

9. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Didn't he write that he never warms up? Perhaps he needs more consistency in his playing and a good, daily warm up routine would be beneficial.

10. trumpeterpl

trumpeterpl New Friend

Dec 28, 2015
    I wrote that my lips never needed to warm up, always ready to play. Now, for some time I warming up. When there is nothing bad day it does not help.