Big trumpet problem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpeterpl, Jan 3, 2016.

1. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Understood.

2. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    How long is your warm up? Some days it seems like my warming up takes a lot longer than other days. Sometimes I can wake up pickup and go, most days not the case. Some days like 35% I have to do an extensive warmup

3. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    hydration. Drink lots of water and have a bottle with you all the time

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I think that this might be what's causing the issue.

In my early 20s when I was working as a military musician and playing all the time, I started to correlate how certain foods and my level of hydration affected my playing. If I went to a movie the evening prior and had popcorn, forget it - my chops were very stiff the following day. Alcohol, beer in particular, also would affect how my chops worked the following day. For me, I found that the cleaner my diet was, the better I played overall - if I made a point to avoid high sodium foods, sodas, caffeine, and junk food in general, my playing was at its best. Keep in mind, I wasn't strict about it, but I knew that if I ate spicy Buffalo wings, that my chops were not going to be optimal the next day.

5. trumpeterpl

trumpeterpl New Friend

Dec 28, 2015
    I did not know that diet has such a big impact.. I ignored it.
    If it causes the problem, I will try to eliminate from my diet, alcohol and other products which you said..

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    It might be different for different people. All I know is that when my job entailed having the horn in my hands for 5-6 hours a day, I started to notice when certain things affected my playing. Salty foods specifically.

When I moved to the Old Guard and I was doing a ton of PT, particularly running, I picked up on the same thing. If I ate really poorly the night before, running was more difficult and felt sludgy.

7. kehaulani

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    What? I was also a touring military musician in my 20s. The trick is, don't stop drinking. :D

8. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    I take it that is a joke?

Please don't misunderstand this comment quoted above, trumpeterpl. Drinking alcohol in more than a small amount ('a little wine is good for the stomach - the Bible) is detrimental to many things we like to do in life. Playing music, general concentration, sports activities, and many more things - even that...
    Definitely something to be used only in moderation if you take anything at all seriously.

9. kehaulani

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Do you really think the OP is so naive that he doesn't understand my comment is in jest?

Anyway, Martin, you used to sit around with Katharina and your inner circle and have a beer or schnaps each, to match each of the ten commandments and other articles of faith, no? :D

10. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012

The OP doesn't speak English well, so almost certainly doesn't get satire/irony/jest in English. Especially when written.