Bigger Mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by John Heckathorn, Oct 20, 2005.

1. John Heckathorn

John Heckathorn New Friend

Jun 9, 2005
    I am currently in search of a bigger piece to replace my 3C, which I have outgrown. I want to stick with Bach pieces. I just want some opinions on bigger size mouthpieces I should try.

Thanks

2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Larger mouthpiece

Prior to making a recomendation I would rather that you go to a qualified teacher for an evaluation of your mouthpiece needs. No one can PROPERLY advise you without seeing you play. In my personal case, as an old man with rather thick lips, I find that my best performance with a trumpet while playing lead in a concert band is with a Bach 10 1/2 C mouthpiece. I have in my inventory a LOT of mouthpieces. When playing a cornet, I prefer the sound of a rather deep, vee shaped cup in my mouthpiece. It gives the horn a more dulcet, dark, sweet tone.

OLDLOU>>

3. Spitty

Spitty Pianissimo User

Oct 3, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I just switched from a 3C to a 1 1/4 C and have found this to be a great improvement (for me) in my comfort, flexibility, accuracy, and surprisingly, range. So far no trouble with endurance.

Cheers,
    Spitty

4. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    I would recomend that you go to a good music store and tell them you want to try out a few Bach 1c and 1 1/2c mouthpieces. Bring your horn cause you need to feel how they will respond and sound on your instrument. Below is part of a post that I posted elsewhere on this site and perhaps it may help you understand what size can do for you.

I normally play a Bach 1c and get about 2 1/2 hours of endurance. When I play a shallow Holton Heim #2 (10c) small cup mouthpiece I get a whopping 5 hours of endurance. Additionally this mouthpiece adds about 4 or 5 notes to my range, and physically is 10 times easier to play. I can go forever on my Heim.

The larger the cup, more of your lip is exposed and thus your lip tires much faster.

Think of it in these terms. If a body builder does only a few reps with heavy weights he will tire his muscles out much faster than if he uses lighter weights with a lot of reps. In this analogy the heavy weights are the large cup mouthpiece and the light weights is the small cup mouthpiece. Muscles are muscles and the same principles apply to embouchure or biceps.

What you also want to take into account is the type of sound that you want to produce. The Bach 1c gives me a very dark centered tone while the Heim 10c gives me a very bright sparkling sound.

You have to decide which mouthpiece is for you, but I would recomend a Bach 1c. Be prepared however (on the positive side) to have a deeper richer sound, and (on the negative side) to lose a little range and endurance when going to a bigger mouthpiece. This problem however is something that time on the 1c will correct. Its just part of your development as a trumpet player.

You can take a great mouthpiece and put it onto a garbage can of a horn, and it will make the horn sound great. Mouthpieces are VERY important.

Equipment
    Martin Committee Trumpet, T3467RE
    Holton Heim # 2 Mouthpiece
    Bach 1c Mouthpiece

Rick AKA Trumpet Man

5. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    I would suggest the Bach 1 1/4C. Still a rim with a well defined inner edge, but the diameter is wider and the cup depth may very well be slightly deeper...all C cups may not be identical. I have found the 1 1/4C to be the best alternative to the 3C. Especially in rim characteristics.

What are you looking for in regard to the rim shape and contour? That will make a big difference in your choice

The 1 1/2C is, IMO, insufficient in terms of the inner edge of the rim. Not enough inner edge.

I have tried a 2C, but found the alpha angle to be too low, and believe me, this alpha angle thing makes a big difference in the way a mouthpiece plays and feels on your face. I prefer more of a well defined inner edge.

The 1C has a little different cup shape, so I have heard. I have also heard it may offer the greatest cup volume of all the 1 mouthpieces with the C cup designation.

I have played a 1 1/4C and a 3C...still do. I have also played the 1 1/2C and the 1C...I think the 1 1/4C will be the best overall compromise. I'd prefer it to either the 1C or 1 1/2C. I like the rim on the 1X, but it is deeper still than any C cup...you may find it too extreme. I like the feel, but not the sound and cup depth. I do not like the sound of a mouthpiece that is deeper than a C cup. Too "dark" and too deep for me.

1 1/4C...IMO.

6. BudBix

BudBix Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
  7. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    There is a fair bit of difference between a 3c and a 2 1/2 C. Try one and see if it's enough difference for right now as you develop.

Also, there seems to be a real population of people that have switched from the 3C to Monette's B6 and have been very happy with them. That's another road to go, also.

ML