Bill Chase: What a tragic 25-year loss of great trumpet music..

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rbdeli, Jun 25, 2009.

1. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    I was listening to Bill Chase, Woman of the Dark, from his Ennea album on my way home from work today. It made me yearn for more of his music. Can you imagine all the great trumpet music we would have heard if not for his tragic dying way before his time.

What a great player, and his arrangements were oustanding for their time.

2. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Amen,
    I actually love all the 5/6 trumpet arrangements that come out every now adn then. Total blast to play

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Chase is amazing still--good rock, good jazz, and some weird stuff, too!

4. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    More about Bill Chase..

...and I made a stupid mistake.

It's been about 35 years since his death.

Chase's sound, power and articulation were just so dynamic and intense. He didn't play the ultra-high notes, but his sound up to double-C was as good as the low notes. Great sound, never puny and never squeeky.

God, do I miss all the music he never got to make.

Funny thing, I never knew about Bill Chase until a couple of years after he died. I was about 13 and just learning about Maynard. I would have been extremely turned on at about 10 years of age, if I could have heard him play live.

5. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I was lucky and saw him perform live twice in the early 70's, once at the Kansas City Jazz Festival fronting a local kicks big band and in a jazz club with his band Chase, an amazing player, I already knew of Bill Chase from his work with Woody Herman's band, I wish he were still here.

6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Just listened to "Get It On". Fantastic stuff...

7. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    A great story about Bill Chase can be found in the included leaflet of Maynard's Mosaic CD Collection (By the way a great, great collection of Maynard's best music) Chase joined Woody Herman's band after he was fired by Maynard. Apparently, Bill Chase was having problems with his chops after trying a new mouthpiece. Maynard warned him that he needed to get rid of that mouthpiece or he would have to let him go. Chase, stubbornly wouldn't do it and Maynard had to fire him. Shortly afterwards, Chase did get a new mouthpiece and was rattling the stage with double-high A's in Woody Herman's band. The band member writing the story says with irony and humor, "Who knows, had Chase listened to Maynard in the first place his career might have taken a different path and he'd still be alive with us today. Moral of the story: When Maynard says get a new mouthpiece you get a new F#$)ing mouthpiece!"

The story was better the way the band member told it.

8. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    All three of his albums were great, and I liked his tribute album to after his death. My very favorite stuff of his though is from his first two albums.

My very favorite track is called, River I think, from his very first album. His playing is just spectacular.

9. markquinn

markquinn New Friend

Jun 9, 2009
    I have been searching high and low to collect what I can find of his music to have on my IPOD when I am in the mood for a little pick me up. I agree "The River" is a really powerful composition with the mixture of the styles coming from the organ and rhythm section.

Chase's concept of sound and being a lead player is really an impacting factor to me. He choose not only to play over the band but play through it. Listening to the fundimental tone of the pitch he produced was rock solid no matter what register he choose to express himself within.

10. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    You described it well. His tone and pitch were rock SOLID.. That describes Chase to a TEE.. I sure miss him, and wonder what might have been 35 years later.