Birmingham AL Trumpet Teachers

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bamajazzlady, Oct 13, 2011.

1. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    Anyone here ever met and/or studied with Dr. James Zingara, Dr. Johnny Jacobs or Dr. Leonard Candelaria? I ask because I'm looking into getting Dr. Zingara or one of the other above mentioned names as a potential teacher. Feel free to mention any other teachers I haven't heard of.

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I've played a few things with Dr. Candelaria, and he was the artistic director of our brass band for a couple years. I know one person who's taken lessons from him, and he got a lot out of them. That's about all I can tell you, though, other than that he's a very good trumpet player!

3. DCIGene

DCIGene New Friend

Jan 3, 2010
    Alabama
    It depends on what you want to accomplish. What is it you want to do? I teach lessons as well and have since 1990. Decide what direction you want to go and then decide who would best fit that need. If you want jazz, I don't know that any could help. If you're looking to get better as a soloist in standard classical, listen to them play.
    Another option would be Dr. Joe Ardovino at Montevallo. Dr. Ben Posey at Birmingham Southern is solid too and a laid back guy. All around classical and jazz great player and awesome mentor.
    Email me at [email protected]ol.com if you have further questions.