Bix

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by wayne, Dec 4, 2004.

1. wayne

wayne New Friend

Nov 19, 2004
    putnam valley new york
    I just listen to Bix on this web site,man was he kicking.He put so much feeling in a few notes, with a sound as good as Phil Smith.What i like about him was his understating a line and then moveing it into a furno.Bix would have been the greatest if he did not get sick and recline so fast. I think by 35 he would have took on a more swing style of playing.He reminds me of Chet Baker in some ways.

2. vlstpt

vlstpt New Friend

Feb 9, 2005
    Suffolk County NY USA
    Chet Baker , when playing with Charlie Parker would say that Chet played like sort of a Bix style, in fact, Chet's dog was named Bix. :play:

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Wayne, where is the website that has the Bix sound clips? I've always heard how good he was, mainly for his tone, but I've never heard any recordings of him.

It's too bad he drank himself to death.

4. Still Trying

Still Trying Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2003
    Lake Jackson, TX USA
    I used to have a record of early recordings of Bix, which I listened to as a kid. I left the record at my parents' house years ago, when I moved out on my own. I don't know what happened to the record.

But the thing I always loved about Bix was his ability to produce lyrical solos. Lots and lots of guys can produce solos, but IMHO, not too many can produce lyrical solos ala Bix. Bix, if I'm not mistaken, was trained as a classical pianist before he started playing cornet. I guess that's where he learned his theory and acquired the musical training background that allowed him to be so effective as a jazz player. It's probably where he acquired his taste for melody lines also.

I wish Bix had lived to be a hundred in an age that could have recorded every note he ever played. I wish the same thing for a few dozen other trumpet players like Bunny Berigan, Clyde Hurley, Harry James, Louis Armstrong, ...

5. vlstpt

vlstpt New Friend

Feb 9, 2005
    Suffolk County NY USA
    There are Bix recordings on cd as well as Louis with King Oliver and Harry James. Hopefully, more will be released. :-)

6. vlstpt

vlstpt New Friend

Feb 9, 2005
    Suffolk County NY USA
    I meant a CD with Louis & King Oliver playing together. :sorry:

7. Whataguy!

Whataguy! Pianissimo User

Jan 16, 2004
    Osaka, Japan
    Lyricism

I read somewhere that Bix loved Debussy. That explains a lot about his lyrical playing.

8. st. paulitan

st. paulitan New Friend

Jan 15, 2005
    Minnesota, USA
    Check out the Bix set on Mosaic. Great remastered sound!

9. jmathis

jmathis New Friend

Apr 30, 2005