Black Laquer Touchup on Jupiter Pocket

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jdostie, Jan 12, 2010.

1. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    Hi everyone, sorry for a post that am am almost certain has been answered . . . but a search for laquer touch-up brings up every thread that has the word laquer in it. So, at the risk of asking a oft' answered question . . .

My Jupiter pocket (Black and Gold Laquer) has several spots where the black laquer came off. When my horns got a bath over the weekend, I lost quite a bit more. Interestingly, the gold laquer looks nice, and the metal where the black has come off looks (almost) as nice as the gold laquered areas.

Anyway, I know it won't be like having it refinished professionally, but can one reasonably patch these spots with black laquer paint (say auto touchup paint)?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    JD,
    the reason why the black came off is that something got between it and the metal. There is a pretty good chance that more of the lacquer is also no longer bonded to the metal. The lacquer is normally sprayed while an electric charge helps it find its new home. I am not sure that that will work very well at home. The only issue for a touch up is the compatibility of the lacquers available with those on the horn. If you don't mind "seeing" the touch up, acrylic laquers are esy to apply, have a minimum of solvents so should not affect what is left on the horn and dry fairly quickly. Their durability is dependent on the bond to CLEAN metal. They will not have exactly the same appearance as they are applied differently.

3. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    Thank you. I think seeing the different blacks up close and personal is probably preferable to seeing a spot of gold in the middle of the black. I think I'll pick up a bottle somewhere and test a spot to see how it looks before going for all the spots that came off.

Thanks again.