Black spot on silver plated Getzen

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Laursen, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Laursen

Laursen New Friend

Feb 4, 2010
    Due to some minor issues with the valves on my new Yamaha 2335 I got the chance og getting a silver plated Getzen instead for an additional 50 USD. I've now recieved the Getzen and it's so beautiful. At first I thought silver plated would be more boring to look at but fortunately that's not the case for me :)

Anyway... I've discovered a small black spot on the leadpipe. I can't feel it at all so it's not a scratch. It's a small spot of around 2 x 2 mm.

Does anyone know how to remove it ? I would rather let it be than risking anything ?

Jakob

2. Outkastah

Outkastah Pianissimo User

Aug 29, 2009
    Boston
    Try a silver polishing cloth, you can get them at any music store. If it still doesnt come off its probibly nothing too major and your sound shouldnt change at all.

3. Laursen

Laursen New Friend

Feb 4, 2010
    I don't thing it's anything to be worried about... It's only cosmetic. Can it be oxidation of the silver or whatever it's called ?

4. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Try the polishing cloth first or a little silver cream if necessary.

The black spot could have been caused by a rubber band touching the surface or something. Rubber bands can leave black spots on silver-plate, I believe.

5. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    rubber and silver don't mix, I am probably wrong but I think it is the sulpher in vulcanized rubber that reacts with silver.

6. Laursen

Laursen New Friend

Feb 4, 2010
    I will try the polishing cloth... Next week I'm going to the instrument shop where I bought the trumpet and getting som essential things.

Two other questions... Can valve oil be used for the slides and is a practice mute a good idea (I live in an apartment) or does it affect your playing in any negative ways ?

7. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Any type of lubricant can be used on the slides - even Vasoline (some think it is the best thing). The biggest problem with valve oil is that it may make the slides so slippery that they fall out by themselves (depends on the tightness of fit).

As far as the practice mute goes, there are those that love them and those that hate them. They do change the feedback that you get from the trumpet but in my opinion, they are a lot better than not practicing at all. Some prefer to stick the trumpet in a closet full of clothes but I'm not sure that is a practical approach for everyone. So, just do the best you can and keep practicing.

Congratulations on your Getzen. They are great horns. I'm sure you'll love it and the dark spot is really no bid deal.

8. Laursen

Laursen New Friend

Feb 4, 2010
    Thanks, I tried sticking the trumpet under som blankets and made sure there was a small "room" for the bell so the air could flow more freely. I did work but I'm not sure it's a practical method like the closet. I probably go for the practice mute. Any particular ones to look for ? Denis Wick ?

9. VTRII

VTRII New Friend

Feb 21, 2009
    California
    Try the Yamaha Silent Brass System. I travel a lot. I needed a really quiet system to use in a hotel room. There is very little sound coming out the bell of the instrument and you can crank up the volume on your headset. Yes, there is some back pressure but it isn't that bad. It is better than not being able to play at all. I even use it at home when I don't want to disturb others. It really extends your available time to practice.

10. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    Sometimes I'll use a drop of valve oil in combination with slide grease to allow the 3rd valve slide to move more freely, as it will thin out the grease. Be careful though. If the 3rd valve slide does not have a stop, gravity may cause it to slide completely out. Happened to me once, as a result I now have a nice little ding on the end of the slide where it hit the floor.:-(

I would not settle for using a practice mute. As has been mentioned, it is better than not practicing at all, but I'd try to find another way. I don't like not hearing myself, as I believe feedback is important to improving your sound. Specificity is key, so unless you want to be the world's greatest silent trumpet player, then search for an alternative. When I lived in an apartment I'd take my lunch break, go home and practice during that time. Alternatively, try to find somewhere else where you can practice. I used to practice in a dental office after business hours (my brother-in-law is a dentist).