Black Trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lindajo, Nov 26, 2008.

1. lindajo

lindajo New Friend

Nov 26, 2008
    Hi, My name's Linda and I'm the mother of a musically gifted 7th grader. My son wants a black Trumpet for Christmas and I found a couple affordable one's on ebay but I'm afraid they will be a waist of money. Does anyone know about tthese trumpets?

2. JoeyK

JoeyK New Friend

Nov 22, 2008
    Generally, black trumpets are not worth the money. They sell horns by being colorful, not by being good. Also, if he plans to be in his high school marching band, they likely won't even let him use it. My band director wouldn't.

What horn does he play on now?

3. Borgatt

Borgatt New Friend

Nov 26, 2008
    I have been playing one of these black trumpets for a few years. If your son is going to be serous about playing, this may be a fun horn, but will definately not be his last. The valve speed on mine is horrible, and the braces are starting to come loose. I didn't expect much more, and the reason for me getting this horn was a combination of price/looks (mine was also from ebay). It has served me well for the price, but there is a point where your sons progress will plateau on a lower quality insturment like this. If getting your son one of these trumpets will keep him interested in the horn for a few years until he decides to upgrade it may be worth it. But dont be surprised if its condition starts to degrade quickly.

4. lindajo

lindajo New Friend

Nov 26, 2008
    Thanks so much for the quick replies! He currently plays a brass colored bach 1530 A friend gave me a silver bach/selmer TR300 but it is missing pieces and so needs a little work but it doesn't have any dents. It was probably purchased in the mid 90's. I thought this would be his next upgrade but he is really taken with these black trumpets.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  5. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    I agree with the other poster's. Kids have always been attracted to fads. There are also red and green horns sold, why I don't know. Silver has been the bling for students and many others for many years and I think fixing up the TR300 silver horn would be the best idea in the long run, at least to high school. If he is musically gifted, he will soon realize the color of the horn is less important than the quality , which will help him progress faster and you won't be saddled with a dumpster dandie.

Bach's can be repaired by most any music store or independant tech, but the Chinese ones of that quality won't find those same repair folks willing to try and repair them. It is up to you, of course, but I would stand firm on this one. There are many threads archived on the form that discuss the problems with these types of horns, most of which revolve around the most important component, the valves, then the braces coming un glued, as was mentioned. If I was a director, I wouldn't, being old fashioned, let one of those horns in the band.

Just my opinions. Glad you are taking the interested in your son's musical endeavors.:play:

6. JoeyK

JoeyK New Friend

Nov 22, 2008
    Well, if he likes them so much, then you should probably get him one, but like Borgatt said, don't be surprised if it wears down quickly. It'll probably serve your son well enough until he goes to high school, at which point you should think about getting him an intermediate level horn such as a Bach TR200. Also, don't get rid of his current Bach, he may need it for marching band.

7. lindajo

lindajo New Friend

Nov 26, 2008
    What is the difference in the TR200 and TR300 series? He has already been asked to try out for the High School Marching band next year, currently he plays for the church, and Jazz band and is doing taps at funerals.

8. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Buy an old Olds Ambassador and have a repairman lacquer it black. You will have a decent black trumpet.

9. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    I would suggest having a decent student trumpet lacquered in black. We used to do that in my old shop. We found that automotive lacquer would stick to a clear coat on brass. It would not stick directly to the bare brass. An Olds Ambassador would be a good candidate, or a Bach TR200, Holton 602, Yamaha student, etc.

LeBlanc/Holton was producing the Martin Comittee in colors. That would be an actualy decent horn. Also the instruments that were marketed by the LA Sax company in the 90's were not too bad. BTW the TR300 is just another nsme for a Bundy.

If I were you, I'd have the Bundy refinished in Black and get him a nice intermediate or used pro horn. I like the Getzen 700 Eterna. Lots of bang for the buck.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    get him a decent horn - in laquer or silver, and then let him spray paint his ├Âld present horn. I am sure there are hundreds of TMers with advice on how to do this!

This way, the upgrade is real, and he gets a black horn (and some fun!) too!