Blackburn Trumpets

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Heavens2kadonka, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Has anyone here heard of the name?

They are a local custom trumpet maker in Tennessee. I have been considering purchasing one of their horns, but would like to here someone's opinion on them. They have a good reputation in Tennessee (The students at Tennessee Tech are especially fond of Blackburns.), but I wish to go on the opinions of those in other parts of the globe.

2. Lawler Bb

Lawler Bb Piano User

Oct 25, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Cliff Blackburn makes an excellent trumpet. I have played his A/G piccolo and wow, what a sound and nearly perfect intonation. I used one of his leadpipes on a past C trumpet of mine; it helped the intonation and blow. I also use his leadpipes on my Benge piccolo with great results. I as well have heard many great things from players that use his horns.

Easily one of the best trumpet makers out there, IMHO.

3. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    Blackburn has an excellent reputation. I can't say I've had the pleasure of playing any of his products but the mention of his name conjures respect in most trumpet circles. His leadpipes seem to be fairly ubiquitous and I know the acting principle of the TSO has a few of his horns(I know he has an Eb/D and I"m pretty sure he has a piccolo).

4. joe brown

joe brown New Friend

Jan 16, 2004
    atlanta,ga/st. croix usvi
    I have known Cliff Blackburn from his days at the University of Louisville. I have a friend who he made a Bach D trumpet for him out of old Mt. Vernon parts befor he made his own and it plays great. I have played a Blackburn Jericho and it was an awesome horn. If i wanted only one trumpet it would be Blackburn, A great horn and a great guy.

5. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Well, I'm going to see if I can make a road trip over to Decatur this Wednesday for some play-testing...