Blattay Sound

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Jul 31, 2012.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    What causes the sometimes (thank God) blatty sound is it the tongue or lips :dontknow:or too much air. I sometimes have this problem on easy notes in low register? Thanks Anthony :thumbsup:

2. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Are you talking about a double note, or dual tone? Whatever....I still don't really know, but maybe a better description would help a bit.

3. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Not using control of your breathing can cause this. It is essential to conquer the long tones on low notes to make progress on the trumpet. Tone is everything.

4. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

In two words: Weak chops...

The tongue has very little to do with tone production. In fact all I can think of is that it

A. Starts and stops the air flow through articulation

B. Reinforces the lips either upper or lower prior to or during an interval leap.

The tongue has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do at all with any supposed benefit derived from an air stream constriction prior to release at the lips. Sadly though this is STILL taught (in the year 2012 no less!) through the easily refuted "Tongue arch for range" theory.

So what to do about the weak chops creating this "blattiness"???

Any exercise you can think of that strengthens your mouth corners and/or facial muscles related to controlling the chops. Lip slurs and trills being excellent. Also those isometrics ie Pencil Exercise and the PETE...

You might also consider NOT relaxing your embouchure excessively while playing in the lower register. Instead just open your jaw a trifle and allow the tone to sound.

Middle of chops: Always loose

Mouth corners and facial muscles OUTSIDE the mouthpiece cup?

Always taught to varying degrees. Or always taught to some degree. Even in the lower register lest you ever want to ascend.

One exception: Extremely gifted trumpet players whose chops are so naturally elastic and vibrant they could blow Triple C's on a tuba mouthpiece...

On a weak, flabby embouchure that gets overly loose in the lower register it is very difficult to ascend into the upper register. In fact these weak chops are usually a sign that the trumpet player has no upper register at all.

I think it was the late Roy Stevens (or his mentor William Costello) who said loosely quoted:

"A trumpet player who is learning his instrument will sooner or later find out that there is an upper register and that he unfortunately does't have one"

True fact Roy

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  5. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    This could be caused by weak embouchure muscles.With the air is pushing the lips too far into the cup.Play soft long tone and lip slurs in all registers with as little pressure as possible and with plenty of rests in between each rep. Don't blast or over blow,this will only compound the problem.

6. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Well how should I describe..yes like a double note or not too a good tone
    [email protected]@,

7. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Thanks for your help.Soft long tones & slurs Anthony

8. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    some of the great players are playing and teaching "maggio" for eg. Arturo Sandoval

It doesnt work for me though -I am more of lip compression type of guy like Jon Faddis

But critisizing "maggio" is nonsense -it is a great method and it works for some and is great technique.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Loose lips i.e. wimpy lips and too much air (think blow as hard as you can like in 5th grade!) Quadruple the soft long tones/slur advice.

10. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I only get a blatty sound very rarely now (thank goodness) and thinking back to my teens when I had that on a trumpet but not on a cornet I think It was for me mouthpiece based. (bear with me on this I'm not advocating the mouthpiece safari) Due to interesting teaching I had a deep slightly cushiony rimmed small cornet piece and a 7C trumpet piece. I think the Blatty sound was due to excess air pressure in the shallower cup of the trumpet piece, I got round it by not blowing so hard. Leading me to the long winded conclusion that excess air however it is produced gives the blatty sound. (takes deep breath after essay).