Blessing Flugelhorns

Discussion in 'Horns' started by rupren, Jul 31, 2005.

1. rupren

rupren New Friend

Mar 10, 2005
    Any opions on the Blessing Artist model? I understand the larger bore flugels tend to sound closer to a trumpet than the smaller bores. I won't have a chance to play this model before I purchase (which I know is a risk) but I do want to get a beginner/step up type flugel that will give me a warm/dark flugel sound.
    Thanks!

2. miles71

miles71 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 8, 2004
    Maryland
    I have one in rose brass and like it. for the price I feel it is one of the best. I have played it in big bands and quintets alike. I would try to get one with the trigger, or have one installed.

3. Jeffmtrumpet

Jeffmtrumpet New Friend

Jun 28, 2014
    Hey all, new to the forum but been a lurker for a while! Might revive this old thread. I have a Blessing 154T Artist flugelhorn. I have generally liked the horn but the first space F can be very flat. Then in combination with the second valve for E or A, it can flatten those notes as well. I did something strange before an Easter Vigil gig...basically pulled out the first vale slide and reversed it and put it back in. It had the strange effect of opening up the horn, sounded less stuffy to me. Even helped the intonation a bit. I'm not an acoustical engineer, so I thought I would ask the wise ones out there...does that make sense at all? I had a player recommend a Melk leadpipe for overall intonation issues but hate springing for it. I hear the new post-Powell takeover Blessing flugs are much improved...might save up for one of them!

Thanks,

Jeff

4. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    Well, :welcome: to the forum! and enjoy the insanity we have to offer

Perhaps the slide ends aren't even, so when put in one way, the slide didn't insert correctly, affecting the playability? I've had this happen with my old Swiss Conn 24A.
    I played a newer Blessing as well [one made ca. 2012] and I thought it was very good - a bit more solid playing than Conn 24A.

5. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Welcome to TM! I have an older Blessing flugel, too, which I like as it is. I have nothing to add concerning your experiment, though.
    Jim
    [​IMG]

6. Jeffmtrumpet

Jeffmtrumpet New Friend

Jun 28, 2014
    Thanks Conn and Comeback. Glad to be here. What a purty horn! I see no third slide trigger though! I think mine may overheat from how often I need to use it!ROFL I think my flug is a lot like a mouthpiece..I'm never satisfied...always looking for the next one!

7. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Well...you'll fit right in around here!:roll:

I pull my third slide a little when I play my flug and just leave it there, and then lip around to finish pitch correction.

Jim

8. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    I've been playing one for years. I have had cousnons, selmers, yamahas and conns. I have kept the blessing and it is still my go to gigging flugel. That must say something...